Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Deville that I purchased new (now at 180k miles & still going strong!). For the past year or two I occasionally hear a strange noise behind/in the drivers door. I'm wondering what it could be (and if I can fix it).

The noise sounds like a strong "click" ... kinda like an electrical connection being made -- but given WHEN the noise happens this really makes no sense to me. There's also a metallic contact noise that happens at the same time -- like snapping two pennies together.

This noise happens when I'm driving ... doesn't matter if I'm going slow (i.e., residential back streets) or fast (i.e., highway). It doesn't happen all that frequently, either ... maybe once during a two-hour drive. I have not been able to recreate the noise "at will" (by turning on/off electrical gadgets). Nor have I noticed any particular situation that causes the noise to occur (e.g., bumps, day/night, turn signals, etc.).

The only thing that I've noticed that seems like it could *possibly* be related is this: my automatic levelling system seems to engage fairly frequently. I notice the pump kick in fairly regularly when I get into the car (particularly with several passengers and/or if I'm parked on an incline). So I can hear this pump engage when the engine is not running ... and I'm wondering if maybe the clicking noise happens when this pump engages while I"m driving. I don't HEAR the pump engage at that time ... but it's not very loud and so I don't think I WOULD hear it.

So ... do you think that could be it? Any other ideas? Wonder if I could remove anything on the door (enabling me to see behind it) that might reveal wiring that could be shorted, etc?

Thanks for any help.
Adam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my noise DOES sound like a hard click ... but just ONE (not three). And it's coming from the drivers side FRONT door.

But speaking of the REAR doors ... my rear drivers door electric lock doesn't work quite right. It will LOCK, but it won't UNLOCK. The rear passengers' door won't do anything at all. I doubt this is related to the clicking noise in the front door, but who knows?

And speaking of inoperative locks ... any easy / cheap way to fix these (I guess I should ask this in a new thread)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts