Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. My '89 DeVille has a strange grrrrrr noise near the alternator. I have now replaced the alternator 3 times only to have trouble a few months after replacement. The first 2 alternators had a disc on the outside of the fan blades which came apart and spun independently causing a hellacious screaming noise. The "new" alternator doesn't have that disc so now it just growls. Can it be the tensioner pulley?

Also, (may be related some how). The air was serviced in '07, "service air" light came on recently and when I took it in the have it charged they said it was full. Is it a compressor? pulley?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The car has 99,500 miles, I only use it when I am unable to drive my Jeep (stick). I have a lot of joint problems and sometimes need to drive "Madam" instead.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
It could be the tensioner. This might sound weird but my uncle should me this I had a sweak when the car started and I took a pair of vice grip and took a old piece iof ivory soap and I gentily let the soap eat away at the belt . It looks a lil mess but the sweak was gone. Check to make sure your belt is on right

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I don't have the typical squeal of a belt that isn't on properly, it more of a growl or a "whirring" sound which I think is coming from the alternator. After replacing the alternator 3 times in a year (I've only driven it 1000 miles in that year) my next best guess was the tensioner pulley isn't working properly. I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Use a stethoscope or a length of hose to listen around and pin point the noise. What kind of alternators are you using?

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to buy a stethoscope right now because I have 2 older Jeeps and my old caddy so I need one. I don't know the alternator but I will find out when I get back from the parts store.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the alternator causing the noise, I didn't find a stethoscope but I tried the screw driver trick and there is no doubt as to the culprit. I purchased the first one from Pep Boys which they installed. Then I purchased the 2nd and 3rd from Henderson Bumper to Bumper a local company. I tried 2 different brands so I doubt it could be 3 "bad" alternators in a row.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Wow! I don't know if you have the worst luck in the world or what, but I'd go with an A/C Delco this time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you're killing my only thought on a fix? :)
Could that be the problem with my a/c also?

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replacing the tensioner pulley. I thought it might be causing improper tension. I only know enough about vehicles to get myself into trouble. I prefer working on my Jeeps because I have tons of room to move around, not so with "Madam". I'll try another alternator from the company I've seen in other posts.
Thanks so much for your time and recommendation!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
If you are positive that the noise is coming from the alternator, then a new tensioner won't help. Sounds like the alternator bearings. You probably could take it to a shop the rebuilds them and have new bearings put in. That might be cheaper.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll do that, we have a great shop (well respected here) and have them take a look and see what they can do with it.

Again, Thank you so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts