Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is strange I start my car and only have around an 1/8 tank and gauge reads full. after a few miles it starts dropping like a 1/16 a tank at a time. but wasnt right when i got where i was going so cut car off and started it again put it in drive full tank put it in park 1/8 tank drive again full what is going on by the way its on a 01 dts thanks for any help.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
There have been many comments on "fuel sender" problems. Mine was cured by a dealer provided additive or my tank itself would have had to be pulled to replace the sender unit. I believe that your newer model sender is easier access and can be replaced w/o tank removal. Try a search using the top of the page using "fuel sender" to read all of the threads on this problem. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
This might not be helpful if Cadillac changed their diagnostic readout on later models. My comment is for a 1993 Eldorado. Yours might not be the same.

The sending unit is not tied directly to the fuel gauge. It is routed through computer circuit which dampens (or averages) the value it receives and then that average value is used to drive the gauge needle. That way tthe needle doesn't constantly swing on a non-full tank as you accelerate, decelerate or take turns.

But on a 1993 Eldo when in diagnostic mode, the dampening is bypassed. So, the gauge needle actually follows the sending unit in real time. If this is also true in your car, then you
could enter the diagnostic mode and check the fuel gauge reading. When parked it should indicate close to the real gas level in the tank. When driving, it should swing between empty and a bit more than you have in the tank. If your car has the same diag feature it could help in troubleshooting this issue.

Peteski

1 - 4 of 4 Posts