Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in for the regular scheduled oil change and inspection. I just got a call a few minutes ago regarding my rear brakes. First off, I have NEVER done a brake stand, smoke show, peel out, etc in this vehicle, EVER. And second off I dont understand how the rear brakes can go when this is a RWD vehicle. If I was to attempt a brake stand, why would I ride the rear brakes?!?!?

This happen to anyone>?

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
I have replaced several rear brakes on CTS, SRX, STS's. The lowest milage was 22k

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I noticed that my new SRX accumulated a lot more brake dust on the rears, especially the right rear, than either of the front wheels. My dealer found the right rear out of adjustment and corrected the problem.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
My car is in for the regular scheduled oil change and inspection. I just got a call a few minutes ago regarding my rear brakes. First off, I have NEVER done a brake stand, smoke show, peel out, etc in this vehicle, EVER. And second off I dont understand how the rear brakes can go when this is a RWD vehicle. If I was to attempt a brake stand, why would I ride the rear brakes?!?!?

This happen to anyone>?
How else would you do a burnout if you don't hold the brakes? You hold the brakes while nailing the gas.

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How else would you do a burnout if you don't hold the brakes? You hold the brakes while nailing the gas.
Yeah but why would I ride the rear brakes when its a RWD vehicle and I want the rear wheels to spin out? its the rear brakes that are totally gone. I talked to one of my friends in the service dept. and he said that they HAVE to, and they will fix the problem under warranty, so its all good.

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever leave the parking brake on and let someone borrow your car?
I live up on the top of the city, street is a hill, so I apply the parking brake alot, could have been my bro that left the brake on for a while, but he has more sense than that.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The parking brake on CTS is a "drum in hat" design. It does not use the conventional brake. There is a separate shoe inside the center of the rotor for that park brake.

Most of the sigma cars have really soft pads and really soft rotors.
You'll likely get two sets of brakes out of a set of rotors, but no more.
The pads do wear fast on these cars, particularly in areas of heavy traffic. Lots of stop and go driving makes this worse.

I have seen several of these types of vehicles wear the rear brakes first, which blew my mind at first also.
Most of the braking is done up front even though some are RWD and some are AWD.
I have seen pads wear out a lot earlier than 22k on some of these vehicles.
I forget the mileage cutoff but if they wear out really fast we'll replace them under warranty but we have to go through "channels" to make sure it is going to get paid for.
I think most dealers will do a one time if it is less than 24,000 but they might have to call their area manager.

Most of these new cars really won't let you go far with the park brake on anyway, the light starts flashing and the claxons go off, it will drive you crazy if you even try.
You might talk to Luke (lindsay cadillac parts) about pad pricing on alternatives. Hawk has some attractive options which can practically eliminate brake dust.
(if your dealer won't cover pad replacement)
Putting the same pads back on will get you the same result in your current mileage X2.
;)

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man! I'm thinking of getting a brake upgrade soon. Just have to come up with the money. Cant spare out $1,500 for them. I want a good system, nothing cheap.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
The pads do wear fast on these cars, particularly in areas of heavy traffic. Lots of stop and go driving makes this worse.
On my '03 I replaced the front rotors & pads at about 65,000 miles. The pads still had lots of life left - I think they could have done another 20-30,000 miles. I didn't change the rears, and now up to about 69,000 miles. I've never had a car go so far on brakes.

I do a mixture of highway/city (more highway).

-GT

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
rear brakes go faster on alot of cars. Common sense to me is because on most cars, the rear brakes are much smaller. On my Maxima, the front pads wear faster, but the rear discs warp much more much faster than the fronts.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Yeah but why would I ride the rear brakes when its a RWD vehicle and I want the rear wheels to spin out? its the rear brakes that are totally gone. I talked to one of my friends in the service dept. and he said that they HAVE to, and they will fix the problem under warranty, so its all good.
I don't know about you, but on my car there's only one brake pedal that controls the front and rear brakes. If one was to do a burnout, they'd hafta hold the brake and nail the gas. This would cause the rear wheels to spin while the brakes are on. The fronts won't move. So yes, the rear brakes will get beat to shit.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
The parking brake on CTS is a "drum in hat" design. It does not use the conventional brake. There is a separate shoe inside the center of the rotor for that park brake.

I have seen several of these types of vehicles wear the rear brakes first, which blew my mind at first also.
Most of the braking is done up front even though some are RWD and some are AWD.
I have seen pads wear out a lot earlier than 22k on some of these vehicles.
I forget the mileage cutoff but if they wear out really fast we'll replace them under warranty but we have to go through "channels" to make sure it is going to get paid for.
I think most dealers will do a one time if it is less than 24,000 but they might have to call their area manager.

Most of these new cars really won't let you go far with the park brake on anyway, the light starts flashing and the claxons go off, it will drive you crazy if you even try.
You might talk to Luke (lindsay cadillac parts) about pad pricing on alternatives. Hawk has some attractive options which can practically eliminate brake dust.
(if your dealer won't cover pad replacement)
Putting the same pads back on will get you the same result in your current mileage X2.
;)
Thanks for info.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It might also have something to do with everyone making FWD cars for so long.
The rear pads are traditionally smaller, but on a FWD car they don't do a whole lot. Now with RWD cars they are still using smaller pads on the drive wheels. The additional load of slowing the drive wheels might be causing them to wear faster than we have seen for years. I have even seen some of these things wear the rear brakes out waaaaaay before the front ones and not with that many miles on them.

I haven't seen any with the dual brake pedal option.
Perhaps if they installed a dial like NASCAR uses to control front to rear braking? Would make for some nice burnouts!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts