Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 03 3.2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
Last day, I found a strange button on the box on the passenger side...
It looks like a flat tire...
I press it several times but nothing appears...
Is this an option on my car ? It's a 03 CTS 3.2l (european model)
As I haven't the manual and there is no dealer in France, could you please tell me what is this button for ?
:hmm:

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
it sounds like you are talking about the traction control button

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
If it is not activating the traction control disabled light in your instrument cluster, then either the button is broken, or your stability system is.

·
Registered
CTS 03 3.2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for those advices.
I've dowloaded my manual, great...
So this button is for the traction.
Does that means that my CTS is a 4 wheel drive ? (Not permanent of course...)
Coooool !!!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
No, there was 4 wheel CTS in 03. Traction control applies the brakes to the wheels that slip or spin.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Actually, I believe it retards the timing to limit engine power. Stability control will apply braking to the applicable inside front wheel when yaw is detected.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
On that vehicle traction control can apply individual brakes on the drive axle to reduce wheel slip and will request reduced power output from the engine controller. The ECM has a number of ways to reduce power output including (but not limited to) changing timing and closing the throttle.
Turning traction off will basically deactivate the traction system so you can do "burnouts" if you so desire. I don't know of many other situations where you would not want traction control.
That switch deactivates and reactivates the system.

The real purpose for the switch is to deactivate this system when the vehicle is run on a dyno, for example when we do an emissions inspection.
If traction were active it would cause some real issues going 25 mph while the front tires are sitting still.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
An other good reason to turn traction control off is in the snow. Yes it's best to keep it on as long as possible. But If you get stuck in one spot, like I did, turn off the traction control and spin the tires for a few seconds to melt the snow in that area. Reactivate the traction control and your off, hopefully. :)

KOT

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
An other good reason to turn traction control off is in the snow. Yes it's best to keep it on as long as possible. But If you get stuck in one spot, like I did, turn off the traction control and spin the tires for a few seconds to melt the snow in that area. Reactivate the traction control and your off, hopefully. :)

KOT
:yeah:

getting out of being stuck in a snow bank is hard enough; tc makes it nigh impossible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts