Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been happening for a while now. Dash is all in Japanese so cant see the messages on the display. heaps of symbols pop up on the display though. oil level seems ok (a bit low but still showing on the dip stick)

----------

spoke to a collegue at work who speaks a bit of Japanese, he reckons it says something like immediately stop engine but isn't sure what the other part says

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
Re: strange banging noise

Are there any numbers displayed with the DIC messages ??? If so, the owner's manuals have what each number really means. They're called Export Codes and if you use one of the links in these forums to download an English copy you may at least be able to find out something. Otherwise a good GM dealer can change the DIC language.

Proper 5W-30 oil level is in the middle of the dipstick hashmark - <== ADD XXX XXXXXXX---<

Strange banging noises with no diagnosis is not good..................

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't any codes - everything is just Japanese symbols. Oil is just below the ADD and is very black.

Anyway the knock could be actually from the engine? Will see if I can get a tech2 scanner to change the language

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

............ and "very black" in ANY modern car is serious neglect. Serious.

Change the oil/filter with recommended product, go for a 250 mile drive and change it again.

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found a mechanic with a tech2 but he could not find a way to change the language. Get a decent amount of blue smoke and he reckoned the sound was the valves possibly but he didn't have time to diagnose it fully. Not sure how long since oil has been changed, possibly years, if ever.

----------

It also miss fires a bit, but still seems to be smooth once up at highway speed. Although it runs quite hot.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Banging noise with what seems to be a "Stop engine" message makes me think it's an actual oil pressure problem and the DIC is displaying "Oil Pressure Low - Stop Engine" in Japanese. (Did not know there was a Japanese version DIC). Did you have an engine oil pressure warning light on?

If that's the case you should STOP driving/starting the car, and track down a possible cause of no oil pressure. Who knows how much damage the knocking caused though.

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts
DIC is displaying ......... in Japanese. (Did not know there was a Japanese version DIC).
It appears to be a Japanese EXPORT car - it may even have the power folding mirrors. There are quite a few languages available for DIC readouts.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
Can you take a picture of what the DIC is showing?

Also is the oil light on when you get the message?

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS RHD Export model
5 Posts
You're going to find that your GM(probably Holden) dealer will not have Caddy codes installed in their TechII. I also have an '02 STS export model. No one here in Australia can help me get the DIC back to English. Finally found a young guy who was interested enough to help out. Told me to buy a "card" that includes Cadillacs up to 2004 for a TechII, and give it to the Holden dealer to install in their computer, and all would be well. I've ordered the card, and will report when it's done.

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is an export model with power folding mirrors, head light washers etc. No oil light on but neither do any of the warning lights at the bottom? Possibly blown bulbs or something?? Will get photo later on..Has been sitting for a while now so will fire her up later and see what she sounds like

----------

yes I had a holden dealer try and pull the codes but he was unable to read them, and had no idea on how to.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,288 Posts
Yes it is an export model with power folding mirrors, head light washers etc. No oil light on but neither do any of the warning lights at the bottom? Possibly blown bulbs or something?? Will get photo later on..Has been sitting for a while now so will fire her up later and see what she sounds like

----------

yes I had a holden dealer try and pull the codes but he was unable to read them, and had no idea on how to.
----------------------------------
try this -
https://www.google.com/search?q=translate+english+to+japanese&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
see what matches the display -

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Banging noise with what seems to be a "Stop engine" message makes me think it's an actual oil pressure problem and the DIC is displaying "Oil Pressure Low - Stop Engine" in Japanese. (Did not know there was a Japanese version DIC). Did you have an engine oil pressure warning light on?

If that's the case you should STOP driving/starting the car, and track down a possible cause of no oil pressure. Who knows how much damage the knocking caused though.
Wow is that actually what it will say if oil pressure is low?? That would coinside with what the guy at work said to me - he speaks a bit of japenese and thought it said something about 'immediately stop engine' but said he could be wrong ..

what do you suggest I do first?

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

Alongside the DIC message(s) is there a code like "EXP 35" = That universally translates to "Oil pressure low stop engine" ?

Those EXP codes are in the owner's manual, and there are a lot of them.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
9 out of 10 times a low oil pressure warning is caused by a bad EOP switch, BUT that is never accompanied by a banging noise. You might want to put an oil pressure gauge on it and confirm that you actually have good oil pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are no numbers or exp ids showing on the all Japanese display. Jump started it as battery was dead and a guy reckons it definitely has low oil pressure with that sound, so I will get a mechanic to hook up a gage and see if it actually is.

My questions are:

- How can I change the language to English? Can it be done with a standard tech2?
- What could be causing the low oil pressure ? (oil level is low but still on the dipstick)
- Why are none of the idiot lights lighting up when I turn the ignition on?

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

The Northstar oil pump, wrapped around the crankshaft snout, is driven by a spacer sleeve held by clamping friction between the crank pulley bolt and the step machined on the crank itself. That torque is tremendous and requires locking the flexplate to get the proper values.

Initial pass = 37 lb/ft
2nd pass is +40 degrees
3rd pass is +40 degrees
4th pass is +40 degrees
For a total of: Initial torque +120 degrees. That's TIGHT. If done incorrectly or not fully = no oil pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see some work receipts in the glove box - relating to repairing an oil leak at the main seal, very vague though. Not sure if it had/has something to do with the oil pump you mention.

Had a oil pressure guage hooked up to it, it is in fact not getting oil pressure. Mechanic reckons it could be just extreamly warn oil, but its only a guess. Either way he reckons the engine is toast. He said I could try replacing the oil and see if that gets me a bit of life left out of it but reckons its probably just a waste of time/money - any suggestions?

Also - why was this moved to n* discussion? I'm also talking about the Japanese speaking DIC which relates to the Seville specifically...

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts

It's in Northstar because we're diagnosing a Northstar problem - and the oil pump/crank pulley torque thing comes up in here (Northstar) about once every 6 weeks. There are other threads on the problem. If, in fact, your DIC message says "Low oil pressure - stop engine" that's about as "Northstar" as it gets.

Even "extremely worn oil" would produce some pressure and a clogged oil filter bypasses oil directly to the passages: There's an internal bypass in the filter.

Curious that you have not changed the as-posted filthy oil and filter during your diagnostic attempts.

The rear oil seal thing reinforces my speculation of improper crank bolt torque procedures: The engine had to come out of the car and be disassembled to replace the seal. If the repair shop did not follow the special procedures in the GM service manual then you have big problems.

Google "cadillac forums northstar engine rear main oil seal" or something close.

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts

Fair enough. Never bothered replacing the oil and filter because of the banging sound, I figure why spend money on it if the damage is done? Poor soul who spent all that money having the leak fixed, guess it was all for nothing. And yeah while the oil is black I doubt it would result in the absolutely terrible oil pressure its getting.

Is it worth throwing some new spark plugs, oil, filter in and see if its OK? How long would it take to damage the engine running with between 5 - 15psi of pressure, potentially for up to ten minutes idling, and another 20 mins driving...(albeit slow speeds)

----------

Also at what psi will the oil pressure idiot light turn on? I am presuming there is a problem with the guage display as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts