Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2005 Deville
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into the yard the other day and the next day I went out to start my trusty DeVille and nothing from the starter. All of the computer readings were screwy and my first inclination was to check the battery. It read 12.5v sitting there. Next I tried charging the battery and finally took it to O'Rilleys to get it checked. They said it was bad, so I purchased a new battery. Took it home and the same trouble. There is clicking from the rear fuse panel, but no noise at the starter and the computer readings do not turn off until the key is out and the door is opened and then closed. I also took of the ground to the frame and it looked fine, so I reattached it. I have a donor DeVille and tried changing some of the relays for the ignition and starter. THE CAR RAN FINE UP UNTIL THAT DAY. I pulled the codes, but I have had the battery disconnected so many times, some are related to that. Here are the codes that I pulled.
U 1301=CLASS2 SHORT TO BATTERY
u1000- Class 2 communication malf
u1164-Loss of dim Serial Data Com
U1066 - Loss of Communications with RIM
U1065 - Loss of Communications with IPM
B1004 - Keep Alive Memory
I haven't worked on it for a few days, running out of ideas.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,602 Posts
Except for the first U code - 1301 - the rest are due to the disconnected battery.

All of what "computer readings" were screwy and do not turn off with Key: OFF ? Do you mean DIC indications and gauges ? Does the security light operate ?

·
2005 Deville
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gauges do not work, just get a ,
When I shut off the car, all of the gauges, computer (tire pressure, MPG, etc) stay on until the car door is open and then closed (shuts off after close) with the key out of the ignition. The security light works. I had it flashing at one time and had to do the reset by leaving it in the on position for 10 min.

·
2003 Deville base
44 Posts
ECU may have gone bad or something shorted it. You might find a way to check the computer online or call a dealer to check it

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,602 Posts
ECU may have gone bad or something shorted it.
His (your, our) cars do not have an ECU. They use a 188 pin PCM - Powertrain Control Moodule inside the engine intake airbox that is programmed to the VIN and options installed in THAT car. A dealership will charge $100 or so to even pull and verify the programming - and another fee to reset it, if necessary (most likely not).

BUT the DTC for "Class 2 short to battery" may point to something - photobob have you seen any arcs and sparks during your troubleshooting efforts ?

·
2004 Deville base
286 Posts
I had something similar after r/r the coolant tank, then trying to 'finesse' the level connector. Sounds weird I know, but after some back-tracking, I figured I must have leaned on the FUSE BLOCK and caused it.

Crazy dash stuff-ok/not ok, lit/not lit at all, chimes, exit 'protocol' ok/not ok, head/marker lights on/off no rhyme/reason. NO start, no click, nada.
Thinking it was a low/bad batt or connection, charged batt,,,,0 change.
Thinking about the FUSEBOX possible FU, wiggled/slapped it a little.
Started right up, all normal. for several days, no change, like happy-happy. Weird damn reliability issue.

I pulled all fuses, cleaned every terminal/connection/in/under/around/to/from the FUSEBOX.
Wiggled harnesses, tried like hell to recreate the 'no start'. Could not.

Sooo, it is still good, no probs, just like the few months I had it BEFORE I touched 'something'.haha

'04 Deville/base/183k

·
2005 Deville
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no luck. Tried replacing starter and ignition breakers. The breakers under the rear seat click when i try to turn it over, but not clicking from the starter. Ran the onboard computer and got a few codes. But the weird thing is that I plugged an OBD !! reader into the port and it was unable to establish communication.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts