Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:stirpot:I am currently working with a well known rear end/chassis builder to adapt a Ford 9" straight axle to be worked into our V's. This rear will look like it came from the factory and will come with a one piece drive shaft option. NO MORE half shafts required!! This is probably more for the die hard drag race junkie but if you are interested then please post along with any questions. We are looking for interest among the V community for when this is ready early next year. This will help keep the costs down if we can come up with a list of V owners that are ready to go with the install.

My car is going to be the test vehicle and on my application I am going to go with a posi set up and 390 gears with the 1 piece drive shaft. Everything will be extremely strong and the best of the best. One of our main goals is to make it look like it came from the factory as so. We are also trying to keep costs under $5,000!

Who is interested and what questions do you have? I am not the expert here, only the customer that wants this badly and found someone willing to do it and help us out with a lower rear end cost option! I will do my best to answer any questions and mine will probably be installed in Jan of 2010.
:thumbsup:
Jim

·
Registered
05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.
410 Posts
Right on! I thought I was going to have to make a mess of mine and do this.
I cant stand this IRS crap.

Spline?
axles being used?

what items from existing car setup is being used, if any?
Keep me in tune with costs, timeframes and issues...

I like twisting axles rather than hoppity hop hop...

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for sure yet but probably 31 spline. Once he gets me the list of everything he is going to put into my car with the price I will post it so you guys can see what I have in writing and this should answer most of your questions. I should have this list in mid December. I just need to see what kind of interest we have now, thanks for replying!

I think we are going with Strange too :cool2:.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
:food-snacking:

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heavytmetals-Camaros have a straight axle too so why can't it look like that????

FYI to the rest of you that are actually interested-I almost forgot-one of the BEST things is that you can narrow the 9" and go with a 5"-6" lip on your custom rims now if you want, how sweet is that!! I'd prefer the large/deeper lip so I am game for that! I am use to my Vipers that had a 7"+ lip and its hard to deal with only having a 3" lip now :(.

Jim

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
Im interested in watching this unfold too :D

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
heavytmetals-Camaros have a straight axle too so why can't it look like that????

FYI to the rest of you that are actually interested-I almost forgot-one of the BEST things is that you can narrow the 9" and go with a 5"-6" lip on your custom rims now if you want, how sweet is that!! I'd prefer the large/deeper lip so I am game for that! I am use to my Vipers that had a 7"+ lip and its hard to deal with only having a 3" lip now :(.

Jim
Would that involve custom fab work to the wheel wells?

·
Registered
10 second V2
19 Posts
Would that involve custom fab work to the wheel wells?

It'd likely depend on how much you can move the brakes in and what the suspension setup is for the rear.

Instead of a 9", have you looked into an 8.8 or something similar? I haven't ran the GM equivalent (12 bolt) but compared to 9", 8.8s are lighter, more available and can be built to handle lots of power for cheap. Me and a couple of buddies were running 8.8s in higher 8 second street legal drag cars without any problems.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
Awsome! :drool:

Post as many pics as you can..

Ill stick to roll races since I dont have that kind of cash, but I hope some guys jump all over this and hit the track and represent!

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skull- don't know the answer to this yet but when we do my car I will let you know.

Never- I am only going with the 9" because I want to do it right the first time with a bullet proof rear. I have broken 8.8's and 12 bolts before but never a 9". The CTS-V thats putting down 850 rwhp from Exotic Performance Plus broke his 8.8 too I believe.

DBS-99C5- honestly I have no idea but I am glad you posted this because it does need to be addressed. I am sure my fab guy knows what you are referring too so I will print your post and email it to him, again thank you.

these are the kinds of posts I need, they bring up things that my installer may have thought of but I have not so its always better to know this upfront before we start cutting.

this is a post from the LS1-Tech Cadi forum that I just posted...
Hey guys, I thank you all for responding and your interests. I honestly feel that if my guy can pull this off, which I am pretty sure he can, then we will all have at minimum an option for those of us that want to go racing and do not car too much about the luxury IRS loss.

I do hear you on the IRS luxury issue and the ONLY reason I would consider doing the straight axle swap is that I plan on keeping my car for and not selling it so please do keep that in mind. It will hurt the resale if you do this swap in my opinion.

After the swap I am going to go crazy on the engine mods and hope to have a 1,200 HP Cadi to run 9's one day that I can still take my son for a cruise in around town; a V1 at that too! I know it sounds crazy but I like to be different and do things out of the box.

As far as what suspension and how this will be done exactly I don't know yet but I do know that I will have the list of whats to be done next month and I will post it for you all to see. We are going to try to make it as simple as possible and yes he may even offer a "do it yourself" kit for those that are pretty talented as I am sure its not a simple project.

You will not have to do this yourself and you can drop off your car at his shop and he can do this for you in approximately two weeks from what I am told and again we are shooting for an installed price of around $5,000 and hopefully a tad less. This is not only about strength but also about affordability, I would like all of those that want to have this be able to afford it.

I know there are a lot of ????'s out there and I will answer them the best I can and will post up the list of mods with the price once I get it so please stay tuned.

I need your support and interests to get this to production as you well know; I know he appreciates my business but 10 interested buyers are a lot better than 1.

thanks guys, Jim

**I would like to add something to this, I see that Hendrix just posted another IRS option and this is great news. I am only here to give us all more options and tell you what I plan to do with my car in case it interests you. This is not for competition or bragging rights so please understand that and I am tired of having no REAL affordable options, until now, so thats why I am pursuing this and I thank Hendrix for doing the same.

We all need more options because I know we love are cars and don't want to have to see them due to bull crap rear ends!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
298 Posts
Another perk is the aftermarket support for the 9" is that it's a 3rd member design so you can build the rear end on the bench instead of under the car!

Sheetmetal 9" axles saves tons of weight!!!

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Is this still in the works? Or did it get thrown to the wayside?

8.8 that I put in my Jeep is pushing 35's and has taken every beating I've given it. It would prob be alot cheaper than 9" since they put em in everything including Explorers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts