Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok setting up this thread , ill be popping in and out for a break while i do the mains ....

Hour one :
Got the Garage Cleaned out and The car is in.

Got all my parts and supplys , everything from assembly lube to the timing chain and of coarse the mains ...Everything is layed out , but im nervous that i didnt get donuts for the exaust ....Hope i wont need them , but i guess if i do ill take it to work monday and have them done. Im also trying to figure out how to get the coolant out , id like to save it and put it right back in as i dont want to add another dose of GM suppliment. I think ill just gamble and hope i dont loose too much when i pull the waterpump off .

Back out i go , beer 2 in my hand , get this thing on the stands and get the oil drianed

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the car up on stands and got the inner fender plastic out fo the way , good thing im redoing all the gaskets , while oil hasnt made it to the ground it has been leaking pretty bad ....

Looks like there is a chance i wont have to disturb the exuast to get the pan out ...On a side note , i cant belive the exaust is ran so damn close to the oil pan ....gotta be a heat source for the oil ....I think ill use some of the racing exaust wrap i have laying around , or buy some heat shield material ....

Bad news : Looking things over i found one of the Tranny side pan bolts hanging in the tranny BY ONE THREAD....this is the GM Goodwrench tranny that i had installed last year , so more work for me , ill be removing the other loose ones and adding red loctite to them , why in the hell would bolts back out ????? 2600 dollar tranny , i shouldnt have to do tigtening sessions on it ....They should have loctited the bolts when it was rebuilt ....

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far so good , all but 2 of the oil pan bolts are out ...... have to drop a small section of the exaust , wont be bad ....got the bolts soaking in penetrateing oil ....

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hit the first major snag .....cannot seperate the exaust system , namely the pipe from the front manifold to the y pipe ....The facotry got the u bolt for the clamp on so damn tight that it put the outer and inner sides of the pipe in a hourgalss shape , there is no way to seperate these two ....I now have to drop the entire exuast system , im VERY pissed

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still no futher , spent the last few hours trying to get those peices seperated to no avail ....In the process of dropping the entire system .....man does this suck .....got most of the bolts soaking in penetrateing oil for the night ....giving up for today ...hopeing to be able to seperate everything at the cat .....

maybe by noon tomorrow ill finnaly have the oil pan off ....

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well decided to try again .....Pans off , y pipe is out ...im to the mains ....wish i did this to begin with ....cant wait to get Number one out and see how it looks ...

pics soon

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Just be thankful you aren't doing it here! We have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and tomorrow night the expect low is 6 degrees....

Hope all goes well! Are you trying to kill the Main Bearing Thump?

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
Does the 4.x main bearing thunp sound like this? All (some) 4.x have the #1 main problem.
I took a stethoscope to the rocker arm bolt(s) and heard it VERY CLEARLY!!!!
Only 94,000 miles on the clock. My dads caddy does it a little more faint with 210,000 miles and has been for the past 9 years. Knock is not present when cold. I also put the timing to 6 degrees and knock got much quieter. When i removed #2 wire, the knock was even more quiet. But if it was a rod knock, my oil PSI wouldn't be exactly 5 PSI on idle, and 26 PSI at 2200 rpm's because the PSI drops just a little. I also added new oil and added lucas stabalizer. Over the past 2 years, the car has been driven on the street 3 times, and i changed the oil 7 TIMES!!!!! I also have ALLDATA and it has EVERYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING!! The new oil is already darker than before. Next oil change will be rotella 15w 40.

https://www.sharemation.com/caddeville/REC08.wav?uniq=nosobw

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
N0DIH said:
Just be thankful you aren't doing it here! We have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and tomorrow night the expect low is 6 degrees....

Hope all goes well! Are you trying to kill the Main Bearing Thump?
Yup ...i hope it kills it .....the thump i mean LOL ...When the engine was hot and id lope around a parking lot it was getting very annoying ....I got rid of it for awhile running delvac 15w40 ....

i couldnt ask for beatter weather , i can leave the garage door closed and still not break a sweat ....

Itll definately be worth the trouble

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got number one and two out ....But now im wondering if i should replace the rest of the mains ....Number 2 came out pretty nice
One is on the left , two is on the right

And a pic of the bottom end , i know wolf has been interested in seeing what the insides of my engine looks like ....

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive coughed and gagged my way thru the extraction of number 3 ...Ive decided to go no further , i will replace number one and two , and reinstall three ...No sense pulling any more of them ....One GM employess told me all i needed was to do number one ....he was right ....My techs were wrong ...

Im now going to remove the upper bearing from one and two and begin to reinstall everything .....this should put me ahead by a few hours ....she may run tonight !!!!

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
upp bearings are in , its mighty hard to keep them lined up with there tang as you rotate them in , boath had to be pulled in and out 3 times before i could get a proper fit , even then i had to guide them by gently prying with a screwdriver till they roatoted home

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More Frustration .....

In order to torque the number one main bearing cap you need to remove the front bumper , oil pump , and the water pipe that runs under the engine ...

really thought i was doen takeing stuff off ...

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now that the oil pump and front bumper are off ive gotten it torqed to spec ...to get the oil pump back on i have to remove the distributor ......UN****ING BELIVEABLE

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
managed to get the pump on without poping the distributor ...twist and stabbed till ig ot it , bumpers back on ....

Now setting up to remove the timing cover , waterpump et all for gasket and seal replacements ....this will be the 4th time the waterpump has been removed from the car ...

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cant seem to get the pulley off the waterpump ....apprently when i had the dealer replace it they forgot this item called a torque wrench ....its on so damn tight i cant even get it to break loose .....

May just toss the oil pan back on and forget it ....

gonna try plan D

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Don't you have an impact wrench to break it loose? And some WD-40 helps as well!
Why did you have to remove the bumper to torque the mains? Couldn't you use an extension to get the wrench to swing enough?

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got the pulley off .....now getting the water pump off .....it will take me around 3 hours to do this , each bolt can only be turned 1/32 of a turn and ym air ratchet is broken .....looks like she wont run tonight .....hopeing to be running sometime wensday ....cant get time off work or school so im woithout car now ...relying on people to take me everywhere as i fight this ****in car tooth and nail trying to fix it , over problems caused by people who had no business working on a car ....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts