Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

Two weeks ago a purchased a 1993 Sedan Deville. This car replaces my ailing '91 Chevy Caprice ex FBI cruiser. Last week the hood ornaments were broken off of both the Caddy and the Chevy. I am currently living in an apartment complex that has a lot of delinquents living with their delinquent parents. Even if I caught the SOB that did this I am sure the kids parents would just think it was funny and be proud that their kid is following in their own footsteps.

I have considered isolating the new hood ornament and attaching it to an electric fence charger or maybe even a stun gun. Or sharpening the bottom of the wreath with a dremel tool. Of course these options also leave me wide open for civil litagation ( which is kind of screwed up since no one would get hurt unless they were committing a crime) but since our legal system doesnt really do much to protect the innocent, these are not reasonably options.

Does anyone have and helpful thoughts or suggestions about what can be done to prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Do you have an alarm. Turn the sensitivity up on the alarm.
If not then really wire the hell out of it to the hood. or get a grille with the emblem that is in the center of the grille

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
There used to be a company called "Pro-tek" that made ornament alarms for our cars, but they're not around anymore.

There's one for a mercedes on ebay: here
You might be able to modify it for your car.

Or you could take it off until you move out of that place!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Get some 12v wire, and wire that puppy right to the battery.......

Yeah, that should do the trick.... :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think for now I will leave the replacement ornament off of the car, at least until the girlfriend and I find a better place to live. Although I am not a violent person, the thought of breaking both hands of the perp is rather satisfing.

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
do not use a grill ornament, specially if your grill is plastic ...

taking ornaments has become a "rite of passage" and no ornament is safe regardless of value ...

however, one of those cheap motion alarms bracketed to the underside of the ornament pin/stud will do wonders and of coure make lots of noise ...

on the other hand, you are lucky .. your type of ornament can be easily be found for replacement .. cant say that about the fender ornaments for a car such as mine ...

JJhomer83 said:
Do you have an alarm. Turn the sensitivity up on the alarm.
If not then really wire the hell out of it to the hood. or get a grille with the emblem that is in the center of the grille

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Avoid the heartache, the loss of replacement money and the work of installing as well as the freyed nerves and leave it off, letting the scumbag think he got the best of you. When you move, you can replace it.

(on second thought..............)

Put on a brand new one, and make a big 16" x 9" sign for the front grille white background & black letters that says..... "LOOK! >>> NEW EMBLEM ON NOW"
and stay at the window with a 12-gage shotgun, and rub 'em out!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
when I bought my car from the dealer in Florida, the hood ornimant, trunk flip wreath and crest thingy and the 4.9 PFI V8 badge thingy were stolen by some kids that vandilized that dealership.....the guy said they make neckalces out of them and crap like that.....what sucked too was my car has the godl badge package......BUT part of the deal was that he would buy brand new badges/hood thingy right form GM and put them on, so I have a brand new 24k gold plated hood ornimant.... the thought of it getting stolen has gone through my mind, from GM, new my HO is about $140....the normal, siler one is $35 or so, for a new one...not too bad (nice and shiny) I have thought about getting a silver one and putting that on, and then just holding onto my new gold one, but so far I have not had any trouble....and I kinda like the gold wreath and crest pointing me in the right direction :D

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
There has to be a way with all those capacitors they're using to drive sub-woofers these days that you could wire the hood ornament to deliver a 110-volt BLAST to anyone who touches it.

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
nightwolf,

i wish i could find the pinifarina fender emblems for $140 .. and just think, there ain't no gold in these ...

there is a solution .. use stickers instead .. seems those don't get "lifted" ...

============

elvis,

gotta think of old homeless people that might lean into the car's ornament or use it to hang their bags and get their pacemakers shocked into a stoppage ...

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
I have mine wired to my horn. Got the car that way. The ornament goes through the hood, then through a large spring. A hole was cut in the plastic that goes accross the front of the car from the left and right head lamps to give room for the spring when you close the hood.
Two wires..One on the top of the spring connected to your battery (Positive terminal), And the bottom wire connected to your horn. Two little connectors on each wire lined up so that when someone pulls up on the ornament they make contact and the horn blows. Dont forget to add a fuse along the line so as to not fry your horn.

Know for sure that this works.
About a week after LAST halloween I was comin home from shopping and noticed that one of my neighbors had lost there flat hood ornament from his BMW. First thing that went through my mind was "poor bastard, that really sucks" ! After takin in the groceries and closing my trunk I saw that my trunk ornament was gone.
I couldnt sleep for a week after that. I was so pissed. Was able to get a new one for $60 Canadian. Anyways.....
I recalled that on haloween night (Early next morning) one of my daughters came in to our room saying she heard a loud noise outside that had woken her up and frightened her.
I put it together. They had taken the trunk ornament, and when they went for the hood the horn blew and the probably shit there pants and ran like hell !
The Caddy is now "Barely" tucked into the garage for this haloween just in case.
Have attached a pic of under the hood. You can click on it to enlarge:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I still think it would be cool..... Or maybe when the car is locked and someone trys to open one of the door handles....... That would scare the shizzle out of anyone........!

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Ralph said:
Hey Murph, are you up north also? All the vandalism happens on "tic-tac-toe night" here on Oct. 30th.

That is so cool what you did with your horn, a good idea, but all the neighbours will be pissed with you. :D (due to the kids playing with it)
Ya I'm here in Ontario. We used to call it "Hell Night" When I lived in B.C. Here in Ontario they call it "Devils Night" Ahh the memories ! I guess what goes around comes around Eh ! LOL !
Thing was though they didnt hit me untill the night after Halloween, the 1st.
As long as the spring is firm enough then you can adjust the contacts for sensitivity so that it takes just the right amount of pull and or angle to set it off.
As far as the neighbors go they can kiss my ass ! We had a frozen slushy rain kinda storm here a while back. Ended up with almost a half inch of ice coating the whole car. The sun came up in the morning and started to slightly thaw everything. The sheet of ice on the hood started to slide forward and actually had the ornament on a 90 degree horizontal angle. No idea how long the horn was going for untill I noticed. But when I finally did hear it and went out there were about three other neighbors out there clearing ice and going about there business as though nothing was going on.
Like I said they can kiss my caboose. There was even one time in the morning when my wife got stuck at the end of the drive. Same jerks were out there with their snowblowers and shovels and wouldnt even look over at her. LaDeDa life goes on.
When you have parents like that in the neighbor hood, it's not that hard to figure out which kids are raised to be so disrespectful to vandalize someone elses property.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
elwesso said:
I still think it would be cool..... Or maybe when the car is locked and someone trys to open one of the door handles....... That would scare the shizzle out of anyone........!
I think you can actually get car alarms that will do that if someone pulls on the handle too hard. Ive even heard of car alarms going off from a cat jumpin on the hood.
My Mother inlaws 2000 Grand Prix GTP has an alarm that will go off whenever a Harley rides by.
No word of a lie. The street that is parallel to our is fairly busy. During the summer we get a lot of bikes go by. Whenever shes visiting bikes will go by all day, but as soon as a Harley goes by her horn will go off with 3 honks.
I call it her Harley sensor. It's actually preety cool !

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
Two weeks ago I went by my friend's house. His neighbor below him has an old Coupe. As my friend was walking to my car, he rips off the Coupe's front emblem and tries to hook it on to a ring on my car keys. I felt really bad about him doing that but he insisted that I keep it. I've been wanting to go by the guy's house to hang it on his door handle but I'm scared of being caught and looking like a nutjob. I still have it though and I really want to give it back to him.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
SupaFly said:
Two weeks ago I went by my friend's house. His neighbor below him has an old Coupe. As my friend was walking to my car, he rips off the Coupe's front emblem and tries to hook it on to a ring on my car keys. I felt really bad about him doing that but he insisted that I keep it. I've been wanting to go by the guy's house to hang it on his door handle but I'm scared of being caught and looking like a nutjob. I still have it though and I really want to give it back to him.
So you have a 94 Fleetwood ?
What would you want to to do someone who ripped something off your ride ? Maybe puch him in the head or beat him to a quivering pulp ?
If he's capable of doing that to a neighbor (someone he knows) whats he capable of doing to a total stranger.
Sounds like someone I'd want to associate with (sic).
Why dont you knock on the guys door and hand it to him saying "I believe this belongs to you". You can make up some excuse like you found it on the street out front and it took a while to figure out where it came from. Or tell him what really happened and let justice prevail.
Its your call. No doubt youd like to get it back if it was yours ?? If you loose a friend over it oh well. Sounds to me like your consciouns is getting the better of you. Do whatever you think is the right thing. Chances are you will remember whatever does or doesnt come of this for a long time.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Give it back to the guy..... I bet he will really appreciate it.....

Hmmm... how could he not like it.... hot chick comes to door, returning my cadillac hood ornament..... How could life be better.......??? :D

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I don't know. If Supa returns it after too much time goes by, then it looks strange, plus she has to come up with a pretty good excuse. Just forget it. Plus if she returns it, and she says what really happened, she might be implicated in the crime of vandalism. (if he is a nut)

Murph, I know what you mean about your neighbours, and it can apply anywhere IMO. We were at Superstore today and needed an item, this lady stocks up and buys them out. She had about 20, and would not let us have even one! That really pissed me off! (I guess I am making a point about courtesy) Also, a number of years ago, I see this dude walking along at night, stopping at every few cars, and smashing the side windows out! I phoned the RCMP, they caught the guy I described (I know because I drove down the street to confirm to the cop in his car!) and I end up going to court and spending 45 mins. on the stand! The thing is, I see this other guy across the street in his apt. looking at what happened while he was on the phone, and I thought he was calling the cops also, turns out he was a cop just watching it all happen, and no one else but me called about it. I guess it would be too much paper work for him on his day off!? I am having less and less faith in others these days.

There, I vented. :annoyed:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts