Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
I kknow what you mean, but there are still a number of them available. My last purchase was the Goodyear AquaTread 3. It didn't come with whiteealls and I have been sorely disapointed since installing them. I was looking for long tread wear when I made the purchase. The Aquatread has one of the longest lasting tread on the market, which makes the rubber compound harder. You can feel it, in the seat.

I have used the TireRack before, and they are great in my opinion. I was looking and saw the Goodyear RS-A with white wall. The BF Gdrich Radial T/A comes with raised white letters.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/titles/eagle_rsa.gif

Also the Michelin XW4 comes in white stripe.

Good luck, I'll be looking for some winter tires myself this year.

·
Registered
2-90 Brougham 5.7, 82 S&S Hearse
101 Posts
I got a set of wide-white Firestones from Tire Rack about 2 years ago - they're not on the web site, you've got to call and ask for them.

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Tires on my Caddy you can tell are older, but brand new almost. Like the elderly owner before me put them on and didnt drive anywhere (80kmiles) They are regualr white walls, Goodyears. Model im not sure, ill look.

Vogues always look best to me.

Black walls are a no no on These caddys.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
IMO, the Dunlop's are one of the most pathetic tires, when looking at what's available in the stock size. I've had relatives go through set after set of other model Dunlops only to get defects and tires that both wore and rode terrible.

On that note, regardless of what some may think of the brand name, we just put a set of Kumho Touring A/S 795's in the stock 235-70-15 size (they also come in a taller, 235-75-15) with the standard 1/2" whitewall. They have a 70k warranty, are one of the most highly rated tires on Tire Rack, AND are still one of the lowest priced.

As far as their performance, I was expecting great things and have only had my expectations exceeded after having them mounted on the Fleetwood--they grip well, handle crispy, and are the MOST silent and smooth treads we've ever had on any car before. They totally transformed my '93 FWB, and it feels like an even newer, insanely smooth and stable luxury car with them on.

I know some (my grandfather comes to mind....) think the only way they're going to get a good tire is to spend big bucks for a Michelin, Good Year, etc., but it just is NOT true, based on all the tires we've bought over the years. We've had various model Good Years on 3 of the last 4 new cars, all of which seemed okay at first, but soon became extremely noisy, wore poorly, and were just did not seem very high quality at all after a little time--which is why I still prefer to call them by their real name "Crap Year" or "Bad Year" :thumbsup: . Same with some Michelins, which were better than the Good Years, but in my book, one of the most overpriced and overrated makes EVER--none, to this date, have ever impressed me as being more than a nicely constructed, but barely average performing and wearing piece of rubber. And the Firestones on our Suburban are, well, let's just say, not capable of anything more than moderately serene cruising on warm and dry highways--any rain or dampness and it all goes to hell. :nono:

These Kumho's are the first foreign, and Korean to boot, tire brand we've ever owned and have convinced us to buy nothing but them (or something similar) in the future, for EVERY car or truck we own.

If keeping stock size--check out the Kumho's (on Tire Rack) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If going larger, to say, an Impala SS wheel, there are even more choices, none of which I've researched....but just don't get fooled by some "good name", is all I can say.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want wide tires, not wide whites. Sorry, I thought that with the tire sizes I listed I was clear.

I just want to keep ww's, but have stock size tire or larger in width.

A few companies have nice tread tires, but don't want to produce worthy size 15's anymore. P255 60 15's are what I want. If I could stuff them in, P275 60 15's are preffered. I have the P275 60 15's on my T/A and loved them. (still could roast them from a 35 mph start!)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I got my 96 Burb last year it had 265 70 R 16 BFG Long Trail T/A. They are awesome in the rain and snow. They handle nice dry, but are a little noisy. But, hey, it is a truck tire too.

Thanks for the advice on the D65's. Man, I am glad I didn't get any! I just don't wanna lose the WW, they look right on this car.

I have hated GY tires for a long while. Too wimpy sidewalls. They are thin and weak, and cause waddle and tire shifts in corners when you least can handle it. Not me.....

I had good results with the (Cooper) Pep Boys Futura brand 70K LTE's and 80K SE's. They did well, looked good and handled very good. VERY quiet. BUT, BW only.

I'll check out the Kumho's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Broughamadrosis said:
I got a set of wide-white Firestones from Tire Rack about 2 years ago - they're not on the web site, you've got to call and ask for them.
Broughamadrosis
vbmenu_register("postmenu_473728", true); What model Firestone tire did you get from Tire Rack and how wide is the whitewall? Also, how much did they cost apiece?

Jon

·
Registered
2-90 Brougham 5.7, 82 S&S Hearse
101 Posts
Hi Jon,
I _think_ they were P235/75-R15 FR480 ExtraLoads, the whitewall is about 2"-2.5".
If I remember correctly they were about $80-90 ea.
Just a regular highway tire, nothing hi-perf - but they are smooth, quiet, good in the wet. They get squeally if you push them hard through a corner, but they still hang-on. I run a set of studded snows in the winter, so I can't comment on snow/ice.
I like the the looks of the 2" wide-white on a Brougham - it's just enough without getting too Vogue-blingy.

N0DIH,
I got a set of BFG (narrow) whitewalls in size 255-70-15 from Tire Rack, for my 92 Brougham. It gave the car a nice stance and handled very well. They rubbed a little on the inside front when you cut the wheel hard, but not enough to damage anything.
That was ten years ago, but it might we worth a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Broughamadrosis said:
Hi Jon,
I _think_ they were P235/75-R15 FR480 ExtraLoads, the whitewall is about 2"-2.5".
If I remember correctly they were about $80-90 ea.
Just a regular highway tire, nothing hi-perf - but they are smooth, quiet, good in the wet. They get squeally if you push them hard through a corner, but they still hang-on. I run a set of studded snows in the winter, so I can't comment on snow/ice.
I like the the looks of the 2" wide-white on a Brougham - it's just enough without getting too Vogue-blingy.

Thanks - I'll call Tire Rack on Monday re: the FR480s. I thought they might be 721s, but when I asked about them, they laughed and said they were discontinued years ago. Could you double check the Firestone model on the sidewall to see if they are indeed 480s? Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if I am going to be forced into blackwalls or 235 75's to get whitewalls soon. I think I would go Impala SS wheels first. I have blackwalls on my Cad for winter with some old Cad hubcaps that look ok, most people like them better than the stock wheels with whitewalls!

But they are snowtires that I use in the winter, probably November I will drop them on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have (4) or (5) Firestone 721s or B. F. Goodrich XLMs 235 75 15s with 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 Whitewalls in good shape for sale?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found Goodyear Regatta 2's with a whitewall for $72 on Tirerack.com.

Anyone try them? Are they worth it? I hate going to 75's, but I don't want to lose WW's, and I am not too Vogue yet.

I typically am not a goodyear fan, they often have too wimpy sidewalls that I don't like.

Reviews on tirerack.com vary widely, love, hate.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found Pep Boys has the Futura Touring SE with P235 70 15. I had them years ago, and liked them a lot. Quiet, good rain and snow traction. I would buy them again with no hesitation. They are house brand, but made by Cooper. I got easily 80K miles (they are rated 80K), if not over 100K on them. My trip OD didn't work, so I don't know for sure, but 4 years+ with typcially 25K miles per year. Or more. Living in rural America you tend to drive a lot.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe De Ville
48 Posts
I have General G4S 235/70/15 tires on my 95 Fleetwood. Thay have a narrow whitewall, like the stock Michelins and they are reasonably quiet. The sidewalls are pretty beefy and I have had very minimal wear in 10k of use. There is no squealing in the rain with these. They are made by Continental. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But, do they still make them? What I am finding is more and more companies are dropping whitewall P235 70 15's. Everything seems to have 16's or 17's, or tiny 15's. Are P235 70 15's destined the way of the Redline tires of the 60's?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe De Ville
48 Posts
I think you're right about the size and the white wall disappearing

I bought my car a year ago and I was in the same bind. Originally, I was looking for the Firestone FR721 with a 1 5/8" white wall and the extra load rating. Tire Rack had them on their website, but when i called, they were discontinued. my only options were the General G4S and a Cooper Lifeliner white wall. I went with the Generals, because I had experienced a blowout with an almost new Cooper on a '73 Buick that I used to have. In 235/75/15, there are more choices. This is what my classic cars have always run on. I believe that the 235/70/15 is an odd size, considered low-profile for a large car. I think that some shops will sell the original equipment Michelin XW4 white stripe, but all of the sidewall ratings on the General are better. I can take some fast curves with no squealing or scrubbing.

The tire shop I bought them from said that all the limos use the General G4S. I figured that if they were durable enough for hard service, they would last me a long time. Matter of fact, that was one of the things that turned me on to the Fleetwood from the start.

My past car, a Lincoln Mark VII had 16" wheels and the tires were expensive for it. With 15's, you get a better ride, more protection from potholes and it just looks more classic. OEM's are going to larger wheels for that "bling" look. I guess that in the future we'll have to buy our tires from no-name brands or expensive specialty brands like Coker.

For me, the 95 fleetwood is the newest car I have owned and I'm just happy that I can still get parts for it at the dealer. I wish that I could stockpile these cars, just to have a lifetime supply of them, because I know that there will never be anything as good as it was again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts