Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas? I've looked behind the glove compartment, in the trunk behind the seat, under the dash, above the brake switches, in the engine compartment with no luck. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, found it! Ponied up the $25 for alldata and they showed it, without that drawing I doubt I would have ever found it.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Its tucked away all by itself on a brace just to the right of the steering column (for anybody else curious), its up behind other wiring so you have to poke for it. But if you're trying to jump the relay because your Passkey system is broken it won't help - you'll get the starter and the engine willl fire until you bring the key back to 'run'. If that's the case, see Ben Franklin's thread on disabled starting for the fix.

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it is buried way up in there. I'd already bypassed the PASS system and now I'm not getting any power to the purple starter wire and was hoping that maybe the relay had gone on me. Relay is good, haven't had a chance to do any further work, but I'm moving along the wiring now and it looks like the neutral safety switch is next in line. The alldata info is really good, I just hated to subscribe to it. I guess I'll get my use though...if anybody needs 90 Deville info let me know!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Yeah, it is buried way up in there. I'd already bypassed the PASS system and now I'm not getting any power to the purple starter wire and was hoping that maybe the relay had gone on me. Relay is good, haven't had a chance to do any further work, but I'm moving along the wiring now and it looks like the neutral safety switch is next in line. The alldata info is really good, I just hated to subscribe to it. I guess I'll get my use though...if anybody needs 90 Deville info let me know!
The neutral safety switch is the last stop before the starter solenoid if I recall the wiring diagrams from my FSM correctly (my CDV and the manual live in Ohio now). How did you bypass the Passkey system? I yanked the relay and jumped the terminals to go from (no start) to (start but not run). What is your car doing or not doing?

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a resistor in the line to simulate the PASS pellet. I found lots of info on the web about it and have done it one other GM's that had the PASS/VATS system.

My problem began with a lazy solenoid. Sometimes you'd get the starter spinning, but not engaging. Well, I decided to fix it so I bought a solenoid, replaced it, put the starter back in and now no start. Checked at the purple wire and I'm getting no voltage. Traced power as far as the relay and that is as far as I've gotten.

Tomorrow if the weather permits I'll check for poer going into and coming out of the neutral switch. I've pulled the starter out and tried it with jumper cables, so I know it is functional, just not getting the juice down to the solenoid.

Thanks for your input, if you need any data while your manual is out of touch, let me know and I'll get it from alldata for you. I'm also shopping for a Factory manual on ebay right now. I have a Haynes and it's fine for the simple stuff, but I've always found that you can never have too much reference data; sometimes one manual will have a better picture than the others, etc.

·
Registered
DeVille
3 Posts
guys i can't find it... however i found a bunch of relays on the right side door... (right under the glove compartment) there are two vertical rows of five i am missing 3 on the left and 1 on the right they seem to be the same thing... is this where the starter interupt relay is? if so, which one is it?

thank you.

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
guys i can't find it... however i found a bunch of relays on the right side door... (right under the glove compartment) there are two vertical rows of five i am missing 3 on the left and 1 on the right they seem to be the same thing... is this where the starter interupt relay is? if so, which one is it?

thank you.
No, not over there. It's up under the steering column.

·
Registered
92 Sedan DeVille
106 Posts
Look under the dash on the left of the column above the flasher relay. Turn on the flashers, find the flasher relay . . . . look just above it. Flexibility helps....LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have any pics of were the relay looks i have not been able to find it

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
He hasn't logged in for over 11 years. As in your other post in Electrical Technical, please look at post dates to get an idea of whether or not you'll receive a reply. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts