Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed radiator due to crack, heater core hoses due to leaking. motor was timeserted 2 years ago.did the block test and it came out negative. i am losing a little bit of coolant from time to time. its starting to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't know where the leak is coming from. Hence, all the part replacements and other work he's done.

I'm assuming it's his 97 Eldo that is having the leak.

My 2003 was constantly leaking a little bit of coolant after the last coolant change, but it looks like adding Bar's Leaks solved the problem. According to GM, adding this kind of thing is *required* even on my 2003.

Turbol15, did you use the GM Coolant Supplement?

For the 1997 Eldo, the Factory Service Manual says this:

"Notice: The 4.6L engine uses DEX-COOL® and GM coolant supplement (sealant) P/N 3634621 specifically designed for use in aluminum engines. Failure to use the engine coolant supplement (sealant) and the approved coolant antifreeze could result in major engine damage. When refilling the cooling system, add three pellets of the engine coolant supplement sealant GM P/N 3634621 to lower the radiator hose."

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unless its burning it ever so slightly that it cant be detected with the block test. i changed the radiator 1 month or so ago. i cant see it still settling and me having to add coolant.

----------

i thought they did away with putting tablets in the coolant system?

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,931 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't know where the leak is coming from. Hence, all the part replacements and other work he's done.

My 2003 was constantly leaking a little bit of coolant after the last coolant change, but it looks like adding Bar's Leaks solved the problem. According to GM, adding this kind of thing is *required* even on my 2003.

"Notice: The 4.6L engine uses DEX-COOL® and GM coolant supplement (sealant) P/N 3634621 specifically designed for use in aluminum engines. Failure to use the engine coolant supplement (sealant) and the approved coolant antifreeze could result in major engine damage. When refilling the cooling system, add three pellets of the engine coolant supplement sealant GM P/N 3634621 to lower the radiator hose."
The tabs arent to be used anymore, they clog heater cores

----------

The tablets are a very bad band-aid and cause clogs more than actually fixing the issue(s). If its still leaking after the parts listed above have been thrown at it, then id check the drivers side below the throttle body (water crossover) or the passenger side surge tank (if its the 97 Eldo)

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All gaskets were replaced when motor was timserted.i will check purge line later on or tomorrow as it is brutally cold here in ny.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
i thought they did away with putting tablets in the coolant system?
They did. Don't use that crap.

Check the purge line nipple on the surge tank. They tend to crack and seep coolant. Look for the chalky white telltale sign of dried Dex. The crack on my '97 was so fine it could not be seen. Only when under pressure did I notice the slightest bit of seepage. Only then did I realize what the chalky white residue was.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Well, yeah I guess, but the Northstar was the only one using it. The 4.9 was out of production by then so I think they just didn't bother mentioning it as far as I know.

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is not a drip of coolant anywhere. Could it be burning coolant ever so slightly?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If it's a small leak, it could very easily be evaporating on hot engine compartment components, before being able to form a drip or puddle. Pressure test it COLD with a cooling system pressure test kit.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts

---------------------
According to GM, adding this kind of thing is *required* even on my 2003.

according to WHO at GM -
I would LOVE to see that documentation -

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
It's in GM's 2003 Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Here is the link to a 2002 FSM page that states the requirement: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/members/submariner409-albums-various-car-parts-pictures-2-picture87672-cooling-system-supplement.html

The 2003 FSM says the same thing.

I have the GM FSMs for Cadillac Sevilles for several model years.

All the FSMs that I have were published in late 2008. Thus, the requirement for addition of the pellets were still being published at least until 2008.

Did GM issue a bulletin that says usage of these tablets should be stopped? I'm not aware of it.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Read this - from the last edition of 2002 Seville manuals; 02/2002 .............. and the sticker on the radiator sight shield.

(and thu posted the link to it - it's in my albums also.) There is no mention of GM stopping the recommendation in my Alldata subscription, either, and that was updated last year.

However, Indiscriminate use of sealers or stop leaks leads to cooling system clogging from overload - so, if the system had no leaks before a coolant change or repair, and the change or repair is done correctly, there would be no reason to suspect a leak - in this case the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !" applies.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
TSB #00-06-02-006D:

Engine Coolant Recycling and Warranty Information (Aug 15, 2006)

Sealing Tablets

Cooling System Sealing Tablets (Seal Tabs) should not be used as a regular maintenance item after servicing an engine cooling system. Discoloration of coolant can occur if too many seal tabs have been inserted into the cooling system. This can occur if seal tabs are repeatedly used over the service life of a vehicle. Where appropriate, seal tabs may be used if diagnostics fail to repair a small leak in the cooling system. When a condition appears in which seal tabs may be recommended, a specific bulletin will be released describing their proper usage.

GM no longer endorses universal use of seal tabs. Procedures have been specifically written on their use. When a condition appears in a GM model where seal tabs may be beneficial, a specific bulletin is released, describing their proper use.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
:yeah:

But if you insist on using them, just put them in whole. They fall apart in nothing flat. They only needed to be crushed on the 4.9 because there was not enough room in the side tank to get them in due to the oil cooler in the side tank. And either hose will do, but I still would not recommend using them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts