Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm returning to continue my quest for answers to this car. First off, I want to thank all that responded several mos. ago. I tried all of these things that were suggested to no avail. 1) I still have the knock in the engine. Motor has 49000 mi. on it. The thing sounds like it is a deep knock, but when I listen to the motor w/ a stethescope, the noise is much louder at the top of the motor. I can hardly hear it from underneath around the block and oil pan. The firewall side up top is where it is the loudest. I've done many WOT's, the correct way and I hardly see any smoke. The noise is definitely more noticeable when the car is cold. 2) The thing is still doing the no start deal once in a while. I checked all the connections from the Battery and they are clean. The battery is new. I tried resetting all of the key fobs for the security. Could the security sensor be bad in the ig. switch? 3) Sometimes when I start the car, the radio plays fine, but there are no lights coming on on the display. This may last 20 seconds to up to ten minutes. When it comes on, it stays on. 4) The passenger side window switch is not functioning. How much are new switches? 5) :banghead: If anyone out there has any further suggestions, besides take it to the dealer, please let me know. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2001 SLS, 1997 STS, 71 Eldo
76 Posts
it may be a loose or cracked flywheel, I've had this on several cars, Not caddy's but its possible.

I would pull the intake and just check the the starter, remove it and look at the fly wheel, try to see if there is any play in it.

As for the Windows, you've got to figure out the wiring and make sure your getting power from the Fuse panel, and bypass the switch,with everything disconnect and see if you can hotwire the window motor to insure its function, then if those check out, you might want to look into taking the switch apaprt and cleaning the contacts. Not sure if the door module factors into any of this?

·
Registered
2001 SLS, 1997 STS, 71 Eldo
76 Posts
How does the car Run on WOT, how is it off the line? I would think an internal engine knock would the have the knock sensor, fully retarding the timing

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
If its a deep knock up top try (while its running) pull one spark plug wire at a time to see if knock will dissapate of go away all together with one certian wire unpluged if this happens you likely have a cracked piston? This is only a suggestion ,A deep knock to one might be a tap to someone else..

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the car Run on WOT, how is it off the line? I would think an internal engine knock would the have the knock sensor, fully retarding the timing
The car runs strong all the way through the WOT cycle. There is not a miss or hesitation to be found.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
A mechanical engine knock is way below the frequency tuning for a knock sensor, so that won't pull timing advance. Impossible to disable one cylinder at a time by pulling plug wires: there aren't any. Try disconnecting one injector at a time on the rear bank and see if the knock changes - cold. (You'll probably get a Code P0300 - miss detected and a flashing SES light during this operation - reset all codes afterward and drive the car a couple of weeks before any emissions testing.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts