Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thanks in advance for your response to my question.

I've liked the 2011 - 2013 CTS for a long time but never had the money or need at the right time.

I now have the money and the desire but not sure if timing is right given this generation (2-door; AWD; 3.6) is 8+ years old and no longer in the Caddy lineup.

I see a couple locally that have less than 50k miles for reasonable price and look to be well maintained.

Welcome any suggestions in terms of whether you think these are still great vehicles or problematic at this age and off warranty.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
526 Posts
Like any used car, condition, age and mileage will make all the difference. I have a '10 AWD sedan that is over 220k kms. The interior is pristine, the exterior is decent and underneath is remarkably low-rust for where I live (Ottawa roads have a high-salt diet in the winters). The performance and handling is still very good and the tech is pretty close to what you'd expect in a modern car. It's fairly easy to work on as well and what does go wrong is usually worth fixing because the cars are that good. I personally think that Cadillac nailed the gen2 CTS. Is it perfect? No. And not everybody is suited to an older, high-tech car. Fortunately, this forum is very active with several long term and knowledgable CTS owners who are very helpful. A subscription to Alldatadiy is useful too.

Good luck

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,034 Posts
Welcome, Rick-

Selection of any used car can have risks, but I agree with what NorthernSRX said in regards to our platform.
The coupe has a unique design that still looks fresh today.

Goodluck with your search!

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,105 Posts
make sure to search several of the threads here where people ask the same question as you and look at the common faults...if the coupe is the one you want, a cared for 2013 should be a good choice

Bill

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,702 Posts
Don't wait!

·
Registered
2012 Silver Perf Coupe awd gone but not forgotten ; 2013 Silver Premium Coupe- awd
286 Posts
I have had two coupes and I am looking for a low mileage one now. Every time I walk up to it I smile.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,504 Posts
After a certain age (warranty expires or no warranty) I make a point of having the proper tools:
  • service manual
  • scan tool for the car
  • small tool kit
and with an unbiased friend make a thorough inspection of any car I consider.

That said I just bought a 1989 Caddy that to some is am electronic nightmare. All depends on your skill set.

ps to me a LFX Coupe is a perfect DD and my LLT is not bad for a new car.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,229 Posts
I love my 2013 too. Design is like it was invented yesterday. Infotainment not up to date even in 2013 but the handling and the LFX is good. Not fast - but still impressive and responsive.

The 2nd-3rd shift when you floor it sounds like a pretty pumped up race engine and downshifting makes the rev go pop-pop. It’s like it enters another temper when you push it.

It seems like they last a long time if you give them proper amount of TLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,461 Posts
My first caddy was bought in 1968 it was a 1965 model. I have had a few Caddys along the way.
I have a 2011 CTS performance Coupe with all the options less sun-roof, for three years now and I do love the car. But like all loves, there are some issues.
The seats are now really comfortable, I got used to them after 50,000 miles.

Vision out the mirrors has a lot to be desired. I have ordered a 4 camera system, I will report how it works if the boat from China ever arrives with the camera kit. The rear window with tint is a total loss of vision. and yes you need tint.

Ride quality, this is not your grandfather's Caddy Deville. I have the most robust suspension FE3 I enjoy it at high speed but in the city the ride is harsh. (some say it's the shocks, I have a new set of OEM in my garage and will get to it as soon as I drain the lake full of crocodiles).

Gas mileage, well it's not a Prius Hybrid.

It has no back seat. I know you can see them BUT please do not let someone you like use them.

The Trunk, well yes it does have one, the opening is 41" wide by 15" tall, it is deep after you pull down the rear seatbacks.

Tires, My rear-wheel drive, I would not live anywhere that I would need 4 wheels that drive, has staggered tires, so no rotating tires at 10,000 miles, and yes they wear more on rears than on fronts.

Navigation system yes it has one but it is 9 years old and no updates.

Radio, AM antenna was forgotten when they designed it, only gets a few AM stations. and yes I set my compass.

Repair work:
When I bought the Coupe three years ago I bought a Bumper to Bumper warranty w/rental car-free. I needed it. Cadillac spent $11,000 fixing my car. Now I must tell you I bought the car from a Dodge dealer and that dealer owned the warranty. I did have a business relationship with the Dodge dealer and the Cadillac dealer just across the street. So when the car needed to be fixed I had the caddy dealer fix it and the dodge dealer okayed everything and I mean when it was in for anything I had them replace everything I could. The biggie was a rear main oil seal and that is very unusual.

If you are still reading this, I recommend the car to anyone that wants a coupe, remember that you don't put a friend in the back.
Be sure to get ALL the options you want, Not all Cadillacs have all the options. Do your research don't miss out on an option like cool seats, remote start with keyless access, back up camera with sensors.
My caddy has $9,000 in options.

Attachments

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (97k miles)
1,133 Posts
Ironically, older model cars with less electronics can have less expensive repairs.

My 2013 Caddy had so many problems in the first three years of ownership 2013-2016 ( averaged like 4+ visits a year but all within factory warranty thank god) but has been relatively well behaved since then (knock on wood). I average one issue a year since then, things like windshield washer reservoir crack (2018), emission canister solenoid (2018),
water pump went bad (2019),
front passenger seat motor go out (2019). Thank god my extended warranty lasts to 2023.

Can't wait to see what 2020 brings (and what loaners I can drive).

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,674 Posts
I love my Coupe. Every time I think about trading her in on a Lexus coupe or Charger...I'll walk up on her and say "DAMN you're sexy"...or someone will walk up to me and tell me I have a beautiful car and be surprised when I tell them it's a '14, lol. Did it give me problems, of course, it's a car. But all under warranty or extended warranty and nothing major (knock on wood). I have to put her in the shop this Monday. Somehow, my engine splash guard got ripped off. I heard this funny sound when i was driving home on the highway. I pulled over because i thought i was getting a flat, but nope, wasn't the tires. So, i kept going and the sound and feeling eventually went away. i heard it again Monday morning going to work, it eventually went away. When i heard when leaving from work, i decided to look under the car and that's when i noticed the plastic rubbing the ground. i was able to wiggle the two pieces (one on each side) loose and that solved the problem. But! i can't figure out how it came loose in the first place. UNLESS! The Valvoline Quick Lube didn't reinstall it properly when i had my oil changed. If that's the case, it might of got hung up at the car wash (these cars sit low) and they didn't say anything to me when i had it washed before i started my little journey home. Now, i need it to be checked out to make sure there's no damage. sm%h. And, they'll be checking out why my sunshade works sparatically. I tried lubing the rails like you guys suggested, but it's still acting up. Besides that, the last I had her in the shop (for repairs, not mods) was 2 yrs ago for squeaky suspension, radio was acting weird a couple of years before that. I love the she handles at high speeds, tight steering (for a 2 ton boat). The 3.6 LFX engine is a beast. I have a fun story for you, but i getting long winded for the OP. Get an extended warranty. It's a buyers market now, take advantage of it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Wagon Performance
56 Posts
As others have said, so much comes down to the care and maintenance history of the vehicle - as with any used car, really. Try to find one that was owned by someone who loves it.

If all's good that way, and you can stomach the occasional hiccup of "older" car ownership, I seriously doubt you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,702 Posts

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,504 Posts
Why I have ramps to change my oil in the driveway. Walmart takes the old oil & always have a couple of empty gallon orange juice jugs. Takes about 15 minutes because tend to look at everything and never leave home. Just keep a coupla 5 qt Mobil 1 in 0w-40 and 10w-30 and a few filters on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Why I have ramps to change my oil in the driveway. Walmart takes the old oil & always have a couple of empty gallon orange juice jugs. Takes about 15 minutes because tend to look at everything and never leave home. Just keep a coupla 5 qt Mobil 1 in 0w-40 and 10w-30 and a few filters on the shelf.
Must be nice. As an apt dweller, I don't have the luxury. I've should of waited...lesson learned. 🤬

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
Must be nice. As an apt dweller....... 🤬
Can't you change it out in the back 40? Out on the range where the deer and the antelope roam? Or at least management?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Can't you change it out in the back 40? Out on the range where the deer and the antelope roam? Or at least management?
Not in our suburbs. Neighbors frown upon people working on their cars. Of course there were people that messed things for us, like leaving old parts and trash...smh. I have a friend that has a lift in his garage, but the lock down put an halt to that...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts