Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums, and this is my first Caddy. I've rented and driven many.

I just picked up a 2002 Seville STS with 89,000 miles on it.

I don't notice it as much at slower speeds, but on the highway or larger side roads, the steering has a notchy sticky feeling when you turn the wheel.

Also, when cornering, if I loosen my grip, the steering doesn't self center as it should.

Any ideas what this may be?
I searched the forums but didn't see anything on this issue.

It has a 60 day warranty, so I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP.

TIA,
Theron

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,703 Posts
Our cars have a "variable effort" steering system: a magnetic ring around the lower steering column gradually makes the steering stiffer as speed increases. That's one system to look at.

The "notchy" feeling is not right - it should be smooth and positive. The wheel is not as quick to self-center as in some other cars. Our series of cars had problems with the intermediate steering shaft - that slide link universal that connects the lower steering column to the rack. That may be your culprit.

Read and study the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes" and learn to get Diagnostic Trouble Codes from the car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory. Practice, write them down, noting whether each is Current or History. Now go back to the sticky and open the URL with "obd2" in the address. That will take you to a Master Index of P,B,C, and U trouble codes. Write down, the definitions to any codes found and come back here and post it all.

Two other things - get into eBay or www.helminc.com and buy a real GM/Cadillac Service Manual. You're gonna need it. For instant gratification, the same manual and a whole lot more is available by online subscription to www.alldatadiy.com.

On the driver's door - what's the build date and tire speed rating ?? Enter your VIN into the sticky post ^^^ "VIN to RPO converter" to find out everything that's built into your car. (If your car was built after 01/02 it has Magnetic Ride Control (F55), the same suspension as Ferrari and Corvette as well as some later late Cadillac models - otherwise it will have CVRSS (F45) Constantly Variable Suspension.)

:highfive: Welcome Aboard !!!!

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for all that info.

I'll get cracking on all that and see what I come up with.

:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts