Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's all there in the title. I'm currently working on building the engine for this project but I just started so I haven't gotten far. My goal is create a Monster CTS that looks as stock as possible. It'll have CTS-V level or better power, in a base model package, Which is why I've named it "The Sneaky V project". So far I've only got the Cast iron LSx Block. My Next step is to get a 4.00" stroke Crankshaft, and 4.125" Dished Pistons (including rods and stuff) then send those pieces off to the machine shop to get it decked, get the cylinders bored to 4.125" (It comes with 3.88" in bores) and the rotating assembly balanced. Once I get that handled I'll know the final clearance I'll have so I can pick Cylinder heads, and a camshaft with the right amount of lift to keep valves and pistons from meeting. I'll certainly need some other items in the midst of all this as well, such as lifters and push-rods but that's for when I get to that point.

If you enjoy this kind of thing drop by my Youtube channel~ Sneaky V .
This is going to be a fairly long build I know, as I haven't even gotten all the parts for the engine yet and I have many parts to upgrade on the car itself to make it able to handle the type of power it'll eventually be asked to handle. So i'm aware of the time and money this will suck up, but wrenching on things, breaking and building things is my true passion I can turn wrenches for hours. What will help make it shorter and less costly -even if only a little- is viewers and subscribers supporting my channel so I can monetize the thing. So please drop by and Feel free to leave encouraging comments or tell me why you think it's a bad idea or how you would have chosen a different car to put it in even negative interaction is interaction just don't come around to be outright mean or anything and everything should be cool.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
736 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics in progress and final product. The 427 should have more than enough power to beat the stock CTS!

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
You might want to contact creative steel to see if they're 8.8 in rear end can be put into your car because you're going to need to replace a lot in the rear end. To handle that kind of power.

Roy

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to contact creative steel to see if they're 8.8 in rear end can be put into your car because you're going to need to replace a lot in the rear end. To handle that kind of power.

Roy
Yea, these cars have an issue with the forward differential bushing wearing out since the is only one. Cause pretty severe wheel-hop in drag racing situations on the "V". Can eventually cause diff failure if left unchecked. Even now mine makes a "thump" noise when put into drive from park or reverse, luckily it seems to be a pretty easy fix. Its about a $52 part at least for an OEM one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would look into replacing all the bushings. This is the kit that I'm going to get for mine and I don't even have any horsepower.

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
736 Posts
I second the suggestion for a more robust diff and bushings. Also, an oft-overlooked issue when installing a big block in a lighter car is body twist. I am not aware that subframe connectors are available for the CTS, so this may be a custom application. I learned this the hard way in a former life when I replaced the stock 305 in a 73 Camaro with a built 396 (pic below). The body twist was pretty bad when I side-stepped the clutch at high RPMs!

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I second the suggestion for a more robust diff and bushings. Also, an oft-overlooked issue when installing a big block in a lighter car is body twist. I am not aware that subframe connectors are available for the CTS, so this may be a custom application. I learned this the hard way in a former life when I replaced the stock 305 in a 73 Camaro with a built 396 (pic below). The body twist was pretty bad when I side-stepped the clutch at high RPMs!

View attachment 584259
Nice. Well, while it isn't actually a big-block, it will definitely be capable of a lot of power. I'm not going for the huge numbers right away but it'll most likely definitely make more power and torque than it's stock 2.8 liter v6 right away...that is kinda the point after all. That being said the car weighs about 4300 lbs as is and it'll be picking up a good deal of weight with a larger cast iron engine up front, but yea I'll surely be looking into some body-stiffening mods. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The original weight was just over 3500 pounds. What have you done to yours to get it to 4300 lb?

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
736 Posts
Nice. Well, while it isn't actually a big-block, it will definitely be capable of a lot of power.
Sorry just saw the 427 and thought of the old big blocks! I forgot about the Vette engine...this package should provide plenty of power, and you will definitely want to stiffen the subframe.

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The original weight was just over 3500 pounds. What have you done to yours to get it to 4300 lb?

Roy
Nothing, that's what the info-card in the door jamb says

Roy
Nothing, that's just what the Info card in the door jamb says- 4628lbs actually. But maybe that's if it fully loaded with passengers and cargo.

·
Registered
268 Posts
4628 is the maximum weight fully loaded.

Roy

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)
Some pics of the bare block. Its cast-iron, very heavy. Though the block itself may lose a few ounces once it's bored out from 3.880" to 4.125" on each cylinder. I worry about my 750 lb engine stand when I start adding more parts. Supposedly it weighs 225 lbs as it is. I don't think even all the parts required to finish it can add another 525 lbs.

My next move is to get my Crankshaft- gonna need a 4 inch stroke. My 4.125 inch diameter pistons with 22cc dish. My connecting rods will be 6.067" long, with a wrist pin height on the pistons of 1.173", that appears to be a middle-ground where the wrist-pin doesn't interfere with the ring-pack, and the crown area of the piston is solid and decently strong, while also keeping the piston as light as possible. That brings my crank and piston stack to exactly 9.240" at TDC (using the formula 1/2 x stroke + rod length + pin height). Granted these pistons will need to come with the specified rods, or I'll need to get slightly longer rods and change a few calculations as I can't seem to find standalone connecting rods that are 6.067"

Going to have the block decked to 9.240" so the crown of the piston is dead even the deck at TDC. This should give me a compression ratio of about 9.8 to 1 (9.78 to 1 actually) with a 0.036 thick( when compressed) head-gasket. Building for a low compression ratio because I plan to add forced induction later. Already got the parts in my cart on the Summit Racing site, just gotta wait another paycheck or 2 so I can purchase it all at once. Then get it all sent off to the machine shop for decking, boring and honing and balancing for the rotating assembly. I'm so anxious to be able to start putting it all together.
20200710_160626.jpg
20200710_160702.jpg
20200710_160653.jpg
20200710_160634.jpg

·
2006 CTS 2.8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited by Moderator)
Whoops forgot to update, here are more pics. Acquired
Forged Aluminum Pistons 4.125" w/22cc dish and valve reliefs.(with rings)
6.125 inch forged 4340 steel H-beam connecting rods. (And bearings)
4 inch stroked forged 4343 steel crankshaft.
Also picked up a Flywheel and harmonic balancer. All this just to get it off to the machine shop to get it , bored decked and balanced all in one go.
20200809_134018.jpg
20200725_181802.jpg
20200726_150656.jpg
20200801_141538.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts