Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hav a deville thought it was a 1973. But they didnt put 500 until 75. The emissions sticker says 501 in big numbers. Was this number on any other engines. The car is in storage about 45 miles away from me. So I dont know if its a 8.* . ? So I cant check the year or the liters. Hope its a 500? Its is going in a 91 sanoma. Wich I just found out today is a 4x4. Now I need to trade this thing for a 2WD s sieries has a 4.3 running. The motor still needs to be connected fuel, wires, etc. the motor is in the truck. The orig plan was to place this 500? in the 91 . cant do that with a 4WD. Can anyone tell me if its easy to swap out the front dif, I have a 400 trans and a 350 trans for the big block orig. Or should I just trade it. Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Do you have a pretty good idea of what the front looks like?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its like yours (MMNineInchNails). But I could be mistaken? Whats the diff?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 73 then . Iknow its not a 75 for sure then . do you know what motor it is then? Thanks for those pics.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Close. The tan 70 is correct (esp. the beautiful part), the tan 71 is acutually a 72, I don't see the 73, and the 75/76 look the same.

This is a 73:

and this is a 71:

·
Registered
989 Posts
That's the magic of google search. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YEAR THEY HAVE. I don't really like any of the years above 70 though. below were awesome. I don't really look into any other of the 70s because of the fact that thats when they got ugly and they were so smogged up the butt and all. tear :crying:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess to realy make sure Im going to wait till I go to my friends house and pop the hood and look in the door. What motors are in these 70's?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
93sdeville4.9m said:
I guess to realy make sure Im going to wait till I go to my friends house and pop the hood and look in the door. What motors are in these 70's?
1970 was the first year for the 500 in the Eldo, and the other cars got the 472. It's easy to spot the differences, 71 had the turn signal in the bumper, 72 had it in betweent he headlights, 73 had one solid bezel around the wider turn signal that was betweent he headlights, 74 had the round headlights and the turnsignals on the outer corners with the stripe through the middle, and 75/76 had square headlights.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts

Unless your headlights look like that, you have a 7.7L 472cid engine (as long as it's the original engine). You could measure the stroke if you want to be sure...

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The 472 tends to be very slightly more reliable, but both are pretty bulletproof. The 500 tends to put out a bit more power, should get >460# torque from a stock low compession 500, vs maybe 430-440# from the 472.

Wait, you're going to put it in a S10? That's probably going to be a tight fit.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Since you are pulling it out of a Deville, you would probably want the 472. By the time the Devilles got the 500, the smog laws choked them to almost nothing. The older the engine, generally the higher the compression/less emissions crap.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Many people think that number refers to the engine size but it doesn't (I think it might be some kind of emissions code or something). If you look to the left of that number (on the same sticker) you should see that it says 472cid.

As for what's best.....they're pretty much the same except one is 500c.i. and the other is 472c.i.. Some people actually like the 472 better because it has a shorter stroke and may rev a little quicker. In a small light truck, I don't think it'll really matter. You'll be smokin' the tires with either.
:burn:

·
Registered
1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac
395 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Are the motor mounts the same for bbc and the cadillac bb mounts? If they are then its real easy. If not what can I do?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This project will be rollin on rubber before summer is up! Even if I have to fabricate the mounts at a local cnc machine shop!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts