Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2020 BMW X3M Competition
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started looking at ATS-V's. I currently drive a 2018 STi Type RA. I have 0 insight into this vehicle, but was able to test drive one today. I did enjoy the test drive that I took today. Test drove a 2016 ATS-V. Any insight people can give me when looking for one?

· Registered
2018 XT5, 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, 2013 LTZ 3500 Dually, 2016 Chevy LTZ, Z71 crew cab, 2016 ATS V Cou
66 Posts
So I recently started looking at ATS-V's. I currently drive a 2018 STi Type RA. I have 0 insight into this vehicle, but was able to test drive one today. I did enjoy the test drive that I took today. Test drove a 2016 ATS-V. Any insight people can give me when looking for one?
My grandson used to have an STI. He had numerous problems including one blown engine replaced under warranty due to main and rod bearing failure. I let him drive my car and he was quite impressed with the performance of the V.

They are dramatically different cars with the Cadillac being a comfortable (for two people) great road car that also has factory tuned beastly performance.

Look for one that is maxed out with all the options, has a clean car fax, and (my opinion) has less than 30,000 miles, the lower the better. CPO cars are great when you can find them. Call a local Cadillac dealer with the vin and check the warranty to make certain there are no blocks on the warranty. If you're not sure of your mechanical acumen then pay a mechanic a few hundred bucks to personally inspect the car.

I've had four late model Cadillacs in the last few years and if the car is nice and there are no warranty blocks you should be good to go.

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
387 Posts
from my observation on this forum, it seems 2016s have more problems than later years. I would look at 2017 and later. Also 2017s have the updated CUE and the ability to independently control exhaust valve, suspension, and steering settings from within the CUE menu. These are not easy cars to launch so you will probably not get as consistent off the line as the STi, but the feel, handling and power of this car make it much better in my opinion.

Finally there is a limited aftermarket for the ATS-V, pretty much only a few vendors out there. Renick in my opinion is the guy pushing this platform further than others. The products he offers are a bit on the expensive side compared to what you would find on an LS platform, but the quality is top notch and James is a hands on guy when it comes to customer service so you really are getting what you pay for. Down pipes, intake, tune are the way to 550hp give or take

· Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
573 Posts
from my observation on this forum, it seems 2016s have more problems than later years. I would look at 2017 and later. Also 2017s have the updated CUE and the ability to independently control exhaust valve, suspension, and steering settings from within the CUE menu. These are not easy cars to launch so you will probably not get as consistent off the line as the STi, but the feel, handling and power of this car make it much better in my opinion.
My '16 has been trouble-free other than a few recalls but that's a sample of 1. I do use launch control when autocrossing since I'm not a drag racer and the launch is usually only 50 feet or so. My pathetic attempts to launch without launch control lead me to just try to get the car moving...

· Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
867 Posts
I went from a 15 wrx to an atsv. The aftermarket is next to non existent and what there is is pricey. If you like modding, you will quickly run out of parts to swap. Often thats a good thing. It is very refreshing not to have to worry about blowing up the engine, like the constant concern on the wrx/sti. The v engine has so far been proven undestructible, with what people have been able to throw at it. Fuel supply is the limiting factor. It is fun being able to do a burn out or put the car sideways under throttle. Cant really do it in a 4wd. The interior passenger and trunk space will be smaller that the subaru.

Keep an eye out for V academy cars that were used for track training and then sold at an auction. The carfax will have a odd entry in it, along the lines of "salvaged title issued in error and then corrected" and something similar. These cars had/have a blocked powertrain warranty. Dealers are pricing them pretty much like regular cars, so I would stay far away from one, unless you find a real bargain. In general, almost all Vs that went to the auction, have a closet full of skeletons. Review their history carefully. Not that they should be automatically dismissed, but the price should be in line with their history.

Like others have said, as typical for a first year model, the 16s have more issues. Most of them are more of an annoyance. The auto tranny has a real issue, but I am assuming you are going manual. The other common real issue is smoke on startup, that has been rumored to be turbo seals, but in at least one case was proved to be out of round cylinder bores/liners. Engine was replaced under warranty. Shifter assembly on the manual wears out very quickly and starts banging on the tranny tunnel interior, then eventually separates....I had mine replaced at 16k miles. Recaro seats are comfy beautiful pieces of crap. Lots of issues with broken clips, tears, heating pad bubbles, etc.

You will be shocked by the production numbers of these cars. In 18, there were 344 sedans and 213 coups made. Somewhere at some time I read that about 10-15% of the Vs are manual. As a result, you can't get too hung up on the options that you want for the 17-18. There just many of them out there. Performance wise, all Vs are identical. There were not performance options on these cars. The same wheels, tires, engines, etc.

· Registered
2020 BMW X3M Competition
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I would be looking at getting a 17+ V. looking to get a manual which I know will definitely decrease my availability for certain options. From my very limited time in the 16' I drove, I did quite enjoy the Recaro seats. I didn't have any issues with the CUE, but really only used it a bit.

It's good to know about the V Academy cars. I will definitely look for that. I would be probably looking after next winter.

I have had 4 Subies. 3 STi's and 1 WRX. I have never had any issues with any of them. As long as you do not abuse them, they tend to hold up. But that is pretty much the same with any vehicle.

I have noticed that the aftermarket is not huge, but really I would only do an exhaust. That is really the only mod I have ever done to any of my cars. It is nice to know though that with intakes, and a tune you can get to 500 HP

· Registered
'16 ATS-V Sedan
20 Posts
Just dropped an '18 STi for a '16 ATS-V, certified, automatic. Surprisingly, I'm not missing the manual and the wife enjoys taking it out too.

I'll know within the next few months if it's a keeper. Coming from 2 STi's, 2 Evo's, a CTS AWD wagon.....I get to see if missing all wheel drive hurts too much in the winter.
I know a few here do a beater in the winter......this just isn't for me. My daily is meant to be a daily, 365 days a year with the exception of 6+ inches of snow. I'm not expecting it to be a truck and I'm cool with a separate set of wheels/tires for winter but we will see.

Massive step up on interior. While I wish I had Android Auto on the CUE (early model '16 here) the STi didn't have it so I'm not missing it. I enjoy the V Recaros much more over the STi Recaros. More fitting and seems like a 100 way seat with all the choices it has, lol.

I don't find the car any smaller for our family of 4. The 7 and 4 year old fit fine in their own Recaros in the back and the trunk offers plenty of space.

Power doesn't fall flat in the upper range like the STi and the power is always available.

I have had the tranny flushed under the TSB and it's been much improved ever since.

I'm 3 months in and liking it so far. If you have specific questions on differences let me know, I just had what you had :) !

· Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
379 Posts
I have had a 2016 coupe since its birth. I have had zero issues with it...certainly none of what the people on this forum talk about (ie, blue smoke at start-up, rough auto shifts, cue problems etc). I have done the only 2 recalls that I am aware of according to the dealer and I meticulously follow recommendations in the owner's manual. I do not "beat" on the car and like I said, no problems, no complaints except for a virtually unuseable rear seat in the coupe

· Registered
867 Posts
I should add that though the rear space is certainly smaller than the current gen wrx/sti, i haven't heard my 3 and 8 year olds complain. Whenever we go anywhere on the weekend with the family, this is the car that gets driven. There has not been any complaints. Except that it makes me drive like a lunatic.

· Registered
'16 ATS-V Sedan
20 Posts
Slicky - Do you find the sedan drastically smaller in the back when compared to the VAG STi? I honestly didn't find it any smaller just the b pillar position making getting in and out a bit worse. I compared interior measurements before making the trade and found all dimensions to be very close but sometimes this doesn't tell the whole story.

I will say I have yet to sit back there for more than 20 seconds. I simply put the kids seats in the back, nobody has complained and it's been that way since I brought it home.

The 7 year old has no problem with school drop off in the morning with it.

Lunatic driving.....:ROFLMAO: I think my wife has made similar comments

· Registered
867 Posts
It is smaller. No question about that. I had a spreadsheet listing interior and storage dimensions of all compatible, similar and reference vehicles. An inch in the back, 2ft3 of trunk space, etc. Putting the little one ito the child seat is also a little more awkward. Nothing that I can't deal with by any means.

· Registered
2020 XT5, 2017 ATS-V M6,1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
560 Posts
I googled STi and this is what I found
"An STI is an infection passed from one person to another person through sexual contact. An infection is when a bacteria, virus, or parasite enters and grows in or on your body. STIs are also called sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs. Some STIs can be cured and some STIs cannot be cured "

· Registered
2020 BMW X3M Competition
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just dropped an '18 STi for a '16 ATS-V, certified, automatic. Surprisingly, I'm not missing the manual and the wife enjoys taking it out too.

I'll know within the next few months if it's a keeper. Coming from 2 STi's, 2 Evo's, a CTS AWD wagon.....I get to see if missing all wheel drive hurts too much in the winter.
I know a few here do a beater in the winter......this just isn't for me. My daily is meant to be a daily, 365 days a year with the exception of 6+ inches of snow. I'm not expecting it to be a truck and I'm cool with a separate set of wheels/tires for winter but we will see.

Massive step up on interior. While I wish I had Android Auto on the CUE (early model '16 here) the STi didn't have it so I'm not missing it. I enjoy the V Recaros much more over the STi Recaros. More fitting and seems like a 100 way seat with all the choices it has, lol.

I don't find the car any smaller for our family of 4. The 7 and 4 year old fit fine in their own Recaros in the back and the trunk offers plenty of space.

Power doesn't fall flat in the upper range like the STi and the power is always available.

I have had the tranny flushed under the TSB and it's been much improved ever since.

I'm 3 months in and liking it so far. If you have specific questions on differences let me know, I just had what you had :) !
I would definitely like to hear how it handles in the winter. I have always had AWD in the winter, so moving to RWD would be a huge step for me.
I really liked the V Recaros. Held me in very nice. It seemed to be the same size back seat as the STi.

· Registered
2016 ATS-V Crystal Frost 2D Limited Edition
15 Posts
Best car (coupe) 2016 Crystal Frost ATS, I've ever owned. Bought new, was on the lot a year. I compare it with my new ZO-6 but more controllable. Don't overpay, it's the least known Cadillac out there so they tend to sit awhile, especially the coupe with the useless backseat. Make a low offer, be prepared to walk away and find another if the price isn't right. I've Heard of issues with CUE etc. but I like it and have no issues at all and love the Apple CarPlay and displaying Waze nav on the car screen from my cellphone.

Good luck!

· Registered
LF4 MASTER TUNER
380 Posts
from my observation on this forum, it seems 2016s have more problems than later years
ehh, thats a solly assumption IMO, the cars are mechanically the same, theres no reason a 2016 would have any more or less issues than a 2017 or 2018, the difference is there was far more ATSV made in 2016 than any other year so naturally theres way more 2016s out there and the 2016s have more miles on them as they are the oldest.

· Registered
ATS-V
9 Posts
You should be able to find some nice ATS-V's for sale with low miles. I would inquire about track use though. Put a set of snow tire/wheels on for the winter and you should be ok. My 16 has been very reliable other than the CUE being replaced under warranty. I have 18k miles on it and 2k are at the track where it does perform quite well. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.