Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ralph said:
If you saw that in a documentary, etc. I believe you. ;) I just haven't seen it though, but who's to say if it isn't true or not. :)
Nah, it's not that I thought that. I just get frustrated sometimes when I can't remember something like that. I think my wife just smacks me in the head too much, causing a little dain bramage. :bonkers:

It was a few years ago, and now that I've thought about it some more it wasn't a documentary. It was some show talking about movie car chases such as Gone in 60 Seconds, The French Connection, Bullitt, ect. I seem to recall that they said the Charger was faster top end wise, and the Mustang had trouble keeping up. I'm assuming it may have been geared differently, perhaps Charger 4 speed, Mustang 3 speed? I wonder if the Mustang was quicker in the 0-60 range? I don't know, but I'm with RealmCenter, my heart just takes a dive seeing those cars get beat up like that. By the way, thanks for posting those pics, makes me wish I was a little better about collecting car magazines.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
klebrun said:
Nah, it's not that I thought that. I just get frustrated sometimes when I can't remember something like that. I think my wife just smacks me in the head too much, causing a little dain bramage. :bonkers:

It was a few years ago, and now that I've thought about it some more it wasn't a documentary. It was some show talking about movie car chases such as Gone in 60 Seconds, The French Connection, Bullitt, ect. I seem to recall that they said the Charger was faster top end wise, and the Mustang had trouble keeping up. I'm assuming it may have been geared differently, perhaps Charger 4 speed, Mustang 3 speed? I wonder if the Mustang was quicker in the 0-60 range? I don't know, but I'm with RealmCenter, my heart just takes a dive seeing those cars get beat up like that. By the way, thanks for posting those pics, makes me wish I was a little better about collecting car magazines.
I know it hurts today to see those cars get beat up in that movie, but don't forget, there were thousands of them at that time, and they weren't considered classics like now.

Today, if you and I made a car movie, we would think nothing of wrecking a few new Mustang GT's because they are just new cars to us.

BTW, Vanishing Point was remade in 1996, and it starred Jason Priestly, and the guy from Lord of the Rings. (cannot remember his name, but the older guy) ---he was also the drill sarge on GI JANE. The remake was pretty cool too, but on that one they made it a white HEMI challenger and made sure they showed the engine.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Seeing how this post has sort of wandered into the whole Car Chase scene, I was just wondering if anyone here has seen "The 7 Up's" or "To Live & Die in L.A." Both of those movies have some pretty serious car chases. If I remember correctly, the chase in "To Live & Die in L.A." is on the L.A. freeway in the opposite direction of traffic. My favorite of all time, would have to be in the "Blues Brothers" when they drive through the mall in their 1974 Dodge Monaco. That was awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
danbuc said:
"To Live & Die in L.A."
Ya, that was intense. I think between an older Impala and a 1986 Grand Marquis? The good guys in the Impala. Those cars took quite a beating over those train tracks, etc. and I wonder how many they went through for a single scene?

I don't think too many people will mourn the loss of those cars. :p

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
danbuc said:
Seeing how this post has sort of wandered into the whole Car Chase scene, I was just wondering if anyone here has seen "The 7 Up's" or "To Live & Die in L.A." Both of those movies have some pretty serious car chases. If I remember correctly, the chase in "To Live & Die in L.A." is on the L.A. freeway in the opposite direction of traffic. My favorite of all time, would have to be in the "Blues Brothers" when they drive through the mall in their 1974 Dodge Monaco. That was awesome. :thumbsup:
Always love watching the Blues Brothers. One of my favorite stunts was when they did the power slide between the two parked cars with just a hair to spair. Wish I could parallel park like that!

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ralph said:
Ya, that was intense. I think between an older Impala and a 1986 Grand Marquis? The good guys in the Impala. Those cars took quite a beating over those train tracks, etc. and I wonder how many they went through for a single scene?

I don't think too many people will mourn the loss of those cars. :p
Makes you appreciate the talent those stunt guys had to be able to take big cars like that and do what they did with them. I'll bet they would have loved to be able to drive some of todays cars.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
klebrun said:
Makes you appreciate the talent those stunt guys had to be able to take big cars like that and do what they did with them. I'll bet they would have loved to be able to drive some of todays cars.
How about when they drove the Plymouth through the mall! Did you see how close some of those extras came to getting hit?!

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Jesda said:
This thread is worthless without video.
Sorry we're boring you. Why don't you just go watch a re-run of "Short Attention Span Theater"?

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ralph said:
What's your favorite Mustang Keith??

Mine would have to be a 1969 Shelby GT 350 (or 500) convertable, orange with white interior. Why? Because I had tickets on one a couple of years ago and really wanted to win! :crying:
I can't argue with that choice. I like how the body style has progressed throughout the years, except for the late 70's early 80's. I had a girlfriend that had a Mustang from around that era, and when I first got into it, I was surprised to see that it shared the same dash, steering wheel, ect. as my dad's 1978 Ford Fairmont (which he traded our 1972 Coupe Deville in on and I will never forgive him for!!).

I will have to say that the 2005 Mustang has just become my favorite to this point. I really like it when they redo an old body style the right way and add today's technology, like the T-Bird. I hope that trend continues for awhile, instead of always letting a computer and wind tunnel determine the shape of the car.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
klebrun said:
I can't argue with that choice. I like how the body style has progressed throughout the years, except for the late 70's early 80's. I had a girlfriend that had a Mustang from around that era, and when I first got into it, I was surprised to see that it shared the same dash, steering wheel, ect. as my dad's 1978 Ford Fairmont (which he traded our 1972 Coupe Deville in on and I will never forgive him for!!).

I will have to say that the 2005 Mustang has just become my favorite to this point. I really like it when they redo an old body style the right way and add today's technology, like the T-Bird. I hope that trend continues for awhile, instead of always letting a computer and wind tunnel determine the shape of the car.
Last I heard those King Cobras from 1978 are becomming collectable! There are so few around because no one took care of them. I think they only had about 140 hp? but they didn't look too bad. The problem was apparently that by 1973, Mustangs had grown so obese and they weren't selling too well, so they wanted to bring it back to it's roots by offering a downsized model.

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Jesda said:
The thread title was for a TV ad. Naturally, I expected a link to video content so I could offer an evaluation and reply. I dont watch TV.
I'm not sure where one would go to get video links to commercials that they see on TV. I've been trying to catch it and tape it on my VCR. The only time I've seen it was during a Sunday football game last week. I think Nascar is having their last race of the season this weekend. I'm hoping they will play it then.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts