Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone seen this yet? I saw it last week during the Chiefs game. That's gotta be one of the best commercials I've seen in a long time! For all you young-stas out there that have never seen the movie "Bullitt", rent it and see what a real car chase with a real actor/stunt driver used to look like before all of the fake, computerized, green-screen BS came to being.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I saw it once, long ago, back in late August. I wondered why it wasn't being shown. I thought it was a fantastic commercial ~

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if they have more than one of them out. The one I saw had a voice-over that said "build it and he will come". The guy builds a track in a field and McQueen comes out and starts driving the new 'Stang. Is that the same one you saw a couple of months ago, Sandy?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I haven't seen the commercial, but I am a HUGE Bullitt fan!! I special ordered the movie, put togethter the collectable steel diecasts of the 1968 Mustang and Charger. Almost bought one of the special commerative Bullitt Mustangs in 2001!

The new Mustangs look awsome BTW!!

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
No, that's a different commercial. I was told that there are 2 of them ('05 'Stang commercials)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I would love to scan all 6 pages of that Bullitt article for everyone because it dispells any myths about the movie, describes what happened to the cars, what size engines were used, etc. However, I cannot seem to scan it larger than the 700 pixels you see above!? Other people can get them as large as the screen! What gives. Maybe I'll try again tonite.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
Mmmmmmmm..... I can't wait until late January when my dad's comes in..... GT, 5 speed manual..... **** yeah.....
I hope he didn't order the optional "bright machined cast aluminum" rims for the GT? The standard "torque thrust" or "Bullitt" premium painted cast aluminium look MUCH better and retro.

I like that new Legend Lime color.

Either way, post pics of EVERYTHING!! ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
The '68 Charger was a 440 6 pack car, and I believe the Mustang was a 289 hipo. They straped explosives to the side of the charger when they rolled it into the gas station to blow it up (wince). I still have a hard time swallowing that the mustang could even come close to hanging with the Charger (assuming equally skilled drivers). I'm not a mustang guy, however they did a nice job on the '05, certainly better than Pontiac did with the GTO!
Darren

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
RealmCenter said:
The '68 Charger was a 440 6 pack car, and I believe the Mustang was a 289 hipo. They straped explosives to the side of the charger when they rolled it into the gas station to blow it up (wince). I still have a hard time swallowing that the mustang could even come close to hanging with the Charger (assuming equally skilled drivers). I'm not a mustang guy, however they did a nice job on the '05, certainly better than Pontiac did with the GTO!
Darren
Actually the Mustang had the 390, and it was the most powerful engine on the option sheet at that time. They had a couple of them for the movie, one was sent to the crusher because it would have been a liability after what they put it through. The other, a stubborn farmer had it in his barn until the late 1970's and when Steve tried to buy it back, he flat out refused! The Charger was a 440 4 bbl.

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RealmCenter said:
Darren
Actually, the Charger was faster. I saw a short documentary talking about that very point. That's pretty perceptive, though. Alot of people (including me) didn't know that.

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ralph said:
Actually the Mustang had the 390, and it was the most powerful engine on the option sheet at that time. They had a couple of them for the movie, one was sent to the crusher because it would have been a liability after what they put it through. The other, a stubborn farmer had it in his barn until the late 1970's and when Steve tried to buy it back, he flat out refused! The Charger was a 440 4 bbl.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Ralph. Wasn't McQueen a little pissed that his Mustang couldn't keep up with the Charger? I had seen some short documentary about something to that effect, but I can't remember all of the details.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
klebrun said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, Ralph. Wasn't McQueen a little pissed that his Mustang couldn't keep up with the Charger? I had seen some short documentary about something to that effect, but I can't remember all of the details.
I don't think that was what I read, but don't forget the Mustang would handle a lot better being lighter, and zippy too. Darn, I'm going to delete the above pics and try to magnify............

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I'm just going to have to type it, as I cannot blow it up bigger! :madtalkin

I'll use point form:

The 390 was tweaked in the carburator and ignition, there are also reports of cylender head mods.

The suspension: The Mustangs unibody was strengthened at the shock towers to avoid collapsing dirung the hard downhill landings. Stronger springs and Koni shocks were installed and extra bracing was used on the springs to ensure everything was stationary.

The 15 in. torque thrust wheels were Steve's choice from American Racing Custom Wheels. Steve also wanted the Nardi steering wheel from Italy installed, and they were installed on all his vehicles, onscreen and off.

Stock shifter but an aftermarket tach.

Apparently if you listen carefully, the Mustang is double clutch shifting. The reason: Word has it that a GT40 was recorded at speed amd the sound was dubbed in for the chase scene. If you notice, when the GT leaves the parking lot it has just a little burble.(Mustang Monthly, Oct. 2001)

·
Registered
1988 Sedan Deville
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ralph said:
I don't think that was what I read, but don't forget the Mustang would handle a lot better being lighter, and zippy too. Darn, I'm going to delete the above pics and try to magnify............
Wish I could remember where I saw that about McQueen being pissed...hmmm. You're right about the Mustang handling. It really shows when they are still in the city and the Charger keeps hitting that gaurd rail. It's funny, if you look real close at the chase, you can see the same green Volkswagen (maybe Volkswagen was considering a "Bullitt Bug" at the time??) in numerous scenes. My son got a kick out of that and wanted to know why it wasn't in the 100+ mph chase scenes!! :histeric:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
klebrun said:
Wish I could remember where I saw that about McQueen being pissed...hmmm. You're right about the Mustang handling. It really shows when they are still in the city and the Charger keeps hitting that gaurd rail. It's funny, if you look real close at the chase, you can see the same green Volkswagen (maybe Volkswagen was considering a "Bullitt Bug" at the time??) in numerous scenes. My son got a kick out of that and wanted to know why it wasn't in the 100+ mph chase scenes!! :histeric:
I recall a blue 1969 GTO also used repeatedly. Didn't someone mention that here?

I guess I can't scan any bigger.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the Charger was a 4bbl? I could have sworn it was a 6 pack car, but I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion ;)
anyhow that car in black is one mean looking bastard! I do prefer the '69 just a touch more because of the elongated tail lamps and grille divider (but not in "General Lee" guise, yuck)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
RealmCenter said:
the Charger was a 4bbl? I could have sworn it was a 6 pack car, but I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion ;)
anyhow that car in black is one mean looking bastard! I do prefer the '69 just a touch more because of the elongated tail lamps and grille divider (but not in "General Lee" guise, yuck)
Here is another cult classic: Vanishing Point. They had 5 cars on loan from Dodge, all 440 4 bbl as well, but the exception was a 383 auto they used for the camera car. (from Barry Newman's interview)

Looks like you can read the whole thing, and this article is VERY interesting, especially for serious Mopar fans.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts