Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gauges started going crazy in my 05 STS with factory navigation. I unhooked the stereo and navigation and the gauges went back to normal functioning. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a cure?

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed (iPod or other interface, Lockpick, etc.)?

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
It has not happened to me; however I can tell you the factory navi unit communicates with the whole car over a low speed and high speed buss. So if it has some fault, it could be affecting everything else. I would try reconnecting it to see if the problem has disappeared. May things can go wrong in that unit. It is not just a stereo navi unit. Just about everything talks to each other over these buss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the navi is unhooked everything is fine. As soon as it's hooked back up it goes crazy again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it's time to go aftermarket with all these issues! Does anyone know of any sort of adapter so I can keep the features of my magnetic ride, reprogram the seat and the other features the go with the factory head unit?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Jtebo -
You may want to consider seeking the advice of experienced professional automotive audio installers. The STS Bose system is much more than just a Nav/Stereo. Although the car will operate without the Nav, you do loose the ability to change preference settings, locking/unlocking patterns, memory seat positions, etc. You also loose all warning chimes and even the turn signal clicks that are generated by the OEN Bose system.

All the speakers are powered by an eternal amplifier, using very low impedance drivers, generally not compatible with most other systems. So you're looking at a soup-to-nuts replacement and you'll want to preserve the ability to connect an OEM system to change the cars settings from time to time. Some members have even installed the old head unit in the trunk!

At the very least, check out what advice Crutchfield offers for free before making a final decision. A used unit & $100 to a dealer to unlock the Theftlock may not be that much to pay. It is a fine sounding system.

Luda' there are some aftermarket boxes to help with minor stuff, turn signal sounds & chimes. But you're essentially right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound quality or a louder stereo isn't want I'm going for if I go aftermarket I just want dependability. I've heard that buying a used or refurb head unit is less than 50/50 that the dealer can unlock it. I've seen them on eBay for 2-300 but don't really want to blow that much plus another 100 of its not going to be a for sure thing. I can get a nice after market plus the adapter to make it fit for the same price and not worry about all the issues I've had with this one is my only thought. I don't want to lose my ability to do some customization but are they worth having and risking the same thing again?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I'd never give up the Nav integration with HUD. MRC & Remote Start settings, etc. I've been a member since '08 & I've not once read a member post of a dealer failing to match a working STS Nav (there's a thread with the correct part numbers.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts