Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an audio issue with my truck and I want to get to the bottom of it.

2003 Ext (came with BoseO
Pioneer AVIC-D3
Onstar module
MP3 player input, subs and amp
stock speakers every where else

Everything works fine at low volume. When I turn the volume above 15, the front speakers start to cut out. It's very apparent in the front drivers side speakers - you get no highs I think the head unit goes to 35. I have the low pass filter for the front speakers set on the head unit. It happens whether I listen to a CD or use my MP3 player.

Any ideas where I should start to look?

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
I would hook up another speaker first to see if they are the problem. But if it is all the highs are cutting out it sounds like it is either the head unit or the way you bypassed the bose system.

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't install it myself. I thought it was going to be a PITA taking apart a Caddy dash and I read about a bunch of issues replacing these head units. $75 was worth the headaches.

In my mind, if a speaker is blown, it won't work at all. I guess I can try swapping the speakers and see if it's the speaker.

I don't know how the Bose system was bypassed.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
The Bose system wasn't bypassed. How they did it for 75.00 I dont know, but the only way to utilize the stock components in an Escalade after 2003 is to run with a Peripheral GMAH24"B" Adapter, or an equivalent from PAC because there is a Class II communications bus. Those adapters from a professional installer typically run about 150.00, and I bought mine on ebay for 50 bucks, but it was the only one out there for a while. In any case, if the correct type of adapter isn't used, or something else isn't installed correctly, it is very common to overload the Bose amp. Symptoms of that are speaker crackling, channels being out, and certainly volume cut-outs might be a result of that as well.

The amp for the Subs is being fed by the pre-amp output on the Pioneer, so that is completely separate. Unless the installer had no earthly clue what he was doing, that's how it should be done anyway (no reason to splice off the main system when you have a perfectly usable pre-out on the headunit) It's tough to say for sure without seeing how the system was installed why your volume is cutting out, but I'm pretty sure the problem is coming from the Bose amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts