Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already replaced some of them. Now the trans temp. and gas gauge need replacement. Problem is that both gauges, with the ignition off, remain past the max range. Therefore I don't know where to "zero" them with the ignoition off when replacing the step motors. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,133 Posts
After soldering the new stepper motor in. You can turn steeper motor pin to the left until it stops, DO NOT force more. Place the needle onto stepper motor pin at the correct spot on the instrument cluster.

Before reassembling everything, place the partial cluster back in, plug in wiring, start vehicle, shut off noting where needles need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
I did mine last week. Even though the oil pressure gauge was pegged, it still stopped in the normal home position when
I turned it counterclockwise. That is where I made the "home" mark on the masking tape. Set the new one to that
mark and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
Cadillac
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - it's done. After taking the cluster out and apart (with the old step motors still in place) I gently turned the bad ones counterclock wise to their stops and did the masking tape and mark thing. I removed the bad motors and installed the new ones and then reinstalled the needles aligning them with the marks. I plugged the cluster in, turned the ignition on (all looked well) then turned the ignition off and checked the positions of the needles. It all looked fine.

I had to replace a couple of the dash lights. Boy, was that fun - a real pain to get them soldered in. Replaced the cluster and all is well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts