Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 Deville that I took to go get an alignment done and the first place told me I had to replace the bearings so I did but I went to another place while I was out and they told me the inner tie rods the rack pinion the power steering pump is leaking now what should I do fix everything or go back to the first place Is fixing the rack pinion hard to do and the inner tie rods as well and the power steering pump? Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
Sounds like the alignment shops are looking for business................Is your P/S pump leaking: During your weekly fluids checks do you notice any loss of P/S fluid ? Do you notice any strange clunks or steering wheel looseness or oddball steering response ? Rack pinion (no such thing) - steering rack - not fun and not inexpensive if done by a shop.

Square 1: Have you noticed ANY steering faults or weird front end noises ?

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing i do notice is that it does shake or vibration a little it when iam driving over 60mph but ive gotten a wheel balance and the driver side wheel bearing hubs done and the outer tie rods done. The steering wheel feels tight but you can hear a winding noise at the left side belt close to the driverside. like i need to add powersteering fluid other thing when Iam driving and doing 65-75 and brake the car wheel shimmy or steering wheel will shake???

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
The steering wheel feels tight but you can hear a winding noise at the left side belt close to the driverside. like i need to add powersteering fluid
P/S pump is on the other side.

other thing when Iam driving and doing 65-75 and brake the car wheel shimmy or steering wheel will shake???
That sounds more brake related.

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just mentioning that the noise is coming for the belt tensioner on the driver side of the car I change the back bracks and the front still had padding left on it so why does it shake when I brake?

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
the outer tierod screws onto the inner tierod. no way a shop would change outer tierod and miss a loose inner tierod. i did an outer left and inner right in the last 6 months. very easy job. had a slight brake chatter before and now it is gone. the parts do not get loose instantly. they wear over time.

·
Administrator
73,464 Posts
Belt tensioner on the driver's end of the engine - water pump drive pulley, tensioner, water pump. FIND AND FIX IT yesterday.

That tensioner seizes and you're in a very expensive fix process.

Remove the shroud - 3 - 10mm fasteners - 2 nuts, a bolt. Use a wrench on the cast lug on the tensioner arm to slip the belt off. Tensioner pulley shaky or noisy ? Replace the pulley - $25 as opposed to the entire tensioner, about $60. The shoulder bolt holds the center race of the pulley. Talk to Chris in RippyParts up in Vendors ^^^.

Be VERY sure that the belt engages all 3 ribs on the water pump pulley - it's easy to miss that.

·
Administrator
73,464 Posts
I change the back bracks and the front still had padding left on it so why does it shake when I brake?
Brake pads and rotors will shake or vibrate from pad deposits on the rotors. Every time you replace pads you should have the rotors checked for thickness (they DO have a wear specification) and maybe have them trued on a brake rotor lathe. Rotors are cast gray iron, so they don't warp, but they do pick up resin deposits from the pads...............When brakes are new, never hold the brake pedal down, if you can avoid it, after a long rolling stop - the heat thus generated transfers pad material unevenly onto the rotor and is why many people experience vibration after a pad change - bed in new pads properly.

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey man you guy bring a smile to a new mechanics face with all of the good advice thanks for the info, Yes the belt tensioner is making a winding nosie even when everything attached i will go easy on the brakes and replace the whole tensioner should i replace the belt as well or is that to much to do? thanks

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had one question does the tensioner have to be change or is it just the pulley that do all the work cause I was going to just change the pulley and just oil the tensioner and put it back together.also the belt hasn't been change since 03 with 165,000 miles is it time or just wait becaus I don't know how change this stove of belt and don't know what tools to use any help is good thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
If the tensioner still pivots freely and has spring tension then just replace the pulley.

Some will say the belt is overdue. Personally, I'd say if it is in good condition, leave it. These belts seem to last forever, unlike the old V belts. Your choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts