Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but one reason I didn't buy an Allanter earlier was I didn't like the steering wheel design when on a 78 Monza or an 85 Thunderbird. Nice for bus drivers.

No notches at 10 and 2, guess many drive with the wheel all the way up and not all the way down like me.

Only issue is the cruise control switches (Tbird has more) but are just discrete momentary switches and not resistive single wire like many GM cars of the period.

Also part of the reason I specifically wanted an 89 was the only year with 4.5 engine and no airbags (personal opinion: any 3500 lb car with less than 250 lb-ft of torque is a dog.).

OK so am trying to decide between several wheels I have that are easy to add pushbuttons, are both smaller dianeter and thicker rimmed than stock wheel (liked the Formula wheels on Pontiacs since 1970. Still do.) and have rests at 10 and 2.

First candidate is a Grant I've had for long enough I forget when bought but think it was for a Corvair. Easy to add 12mm microswitches. Have a 1/2" adapter coming in.

Comfortable places at 10 & 2.

Getting out a Reatta wheel that is the other candidate. Know that is comfortable and just needs a different center. Microswitches might be a bit more difficult.

Decisions, decisions.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
If you must...

I vote for the Reatta wheel. The Grant option screams '70's muscle car wannabe complete with slotted aluminum mags, raised rear suspension, and more gray primer than actual factory paint.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #3
Probably but holes make it easy to mount the cruise control microswitches (green - RA and blue-SET mounted.). Have liked fat rims since the 60s, much easer to hold in a hard corner.

Registered
I have had CC in just about every vehicle I've owned. Rarely use it.
You're going to do what you want.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #6
I own a Judge. It has a Muncie and not a cruise. The Allante is a cruiser. On the Interstate or Turnpike I use the cruise a lot (tend to get going faster than intended if not).

Coming back with the Allante at 65 it vibrated so set the cruise at 62.

Registered
That Grant wheel belongs in an El Camino, not an Allante.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #8
It may beome difficult, the telescopic lever goes over the hub. OTOH I just like it all the way down.

Now the three grey knobs on the back of each of the center stack displays with no marking and no schematic...

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #9
Well the spline is fine just had to remove the bumper. Problem is I need to figure a way to redo the telescopic lever and replace the "R". Much more comfortable. Work in progress.

Super Moderator
2014 ELR
You'll find a Cadillac emblem to replace the R on ebay or AliExpress. Looks good, nice work. A few of the wagon guys use that wheel in Roadmasters (with airbag delete). I use a similar Lumina wheel in my SS.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. As mentioned the issue is the telescopic lever and the two cruise control buttons. On a Reatta to replace the airbag wheel you need a 3.3 ohm resistor but since I have a very late 89 Allante (deliberately) that is a non-issue.

Long term task is to find a replacement display panel for the three units in the center stack. I suspect the LCD display can be replaced by itself but need to know the specs.

Would like one that does not work that I can disassemble and see if any ID on the back of the display, am building a database of the display but seem to be minor variations on a common module.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. As mentioned the issue is the telescopic lever and the two cruise control buttons. On a Reatta to replace the airbag wheel you need a 3.3 ohm resistor but since I have a very late 89 (deliberately) that is a non-issue.

Long term task is to find a replacement display panel for the three units in the center stack

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you except I did not like the wheel on a 85 Thunderbird and still do not like on an Allante, has no rest at 10/2. Am fitting a Buick wheel.

OTOH thank you for posting, forums have little activity and now seeing Allantes in the $2k-$3.5k range. Near worth it for a parts car.

Registered
2017 CT6 / 93 Allante / 1989 560SL / 2004 T-Bird Pacific Coast /1992 Alfa Spider
Thank you except I did not like the wheel on a 85 Thunderbird and still do not like on an Allante, has no rest at 10/2. Am fitting a Buick wheel.

Can we see a picture of the wheel after installation, and is there any difficulties in converting to the Reatta wheel?
In my opinion, the only thing that I see is not consistent with the interior design is the wheel in my 1993. it's a real ugly wheel.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for commenting. In general I just like Buick wheels better (Type T is really nice) though the one in my CTS is OK. Have always (well since 1970) liked thick vertical rims better than skinny, were easier for me to hold on to when racing.

Were some difuledys. Found a SPDT momentary switch on Amazon that with a NEMA bracket for the cruise. Bit of metalwork and two screws attached to wheel. Had to modify te plastic Allante hub with the horn spring to fit the Reatta wheel. Telescopic lever had to mount on top of wheel (had a slot in the right spot) which required a 90 degree bend not to block the speedo. Glue cad logo over top of R in wheel center. Post 14 showns the mount. Just need to do a little soldering for the cruise harness and plastic leg repair & done. Have had mounted several times while fettling but near done. Just no rush.

Registered
2017 CT6 / 93 Allante / 1989 560SL / 2004 T-Bird Pacific Coast /1992 Alfa Spider
Because my 1993 Allante driving wheels are different from the early models.
The telescopic lever and the multinational turn signal with cruise control lever located in the steering column. So do I need to follow your steps?
Appreciated any advice in this issue.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Discussion Starter #18
I really do not know since now seem to have two 89s (pre-airbag).Thought the 93 did not have the telescopic feature. Looking at the 93 column (section 3F4 in the FSM) it appears you can pull the steering wheel without affecting the cruise control. However be careful to discharge everything (have seen mention to pull battery negative terminal, wait 20 minutes for capaciters to leak down) and then have to disconnect the airbag. Best to follow the procedure starting on page 9F4-4 of the FSM. If replacing with a non-AB wheel I think a 3.3 ohm resistor will stop errors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts