Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ATS Standard; (RIP) 2004 Sedan Deville
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004, Cadillac Deville (base model, no options) --

Does anyone know how to replace the lamps on the steering wheel rocker switches (right-hand side) for 'Volume' and 'Select' ???

I do not believe this is one of the older model steering wheels, which requires disabling the airbag and really ripping the guts out of the steering wheel. It feels as if I can pop-off the plastic cover over these 2 switches and access them that way...but I don't want to risk cracking plastic and of course I want more information to base my decisions on.

Also, the lamp for the dimmer knob (left of the steering column) is out as well--anyone know how to replace that one?

Please reply if you have experience with this/this type of steering wheel. I'm guessing it's the same type of wheel that was in the '03,'05 models (mine is an '04 base model Deville).

Let me know guys!

Thank you!

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
I believe the air bag has to be removed. Technically you has to replace the switch, but I think a few people have bought a bulb from radio shack and soldered in a new one.

·
Registered
2018 ATS Standard; (RIP) 2004 Sedan Deville
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what it looks like. It appears that I could possibly pry off the plastic cover that surrounds the rocker switches. (see right side of steering wheel)

Any thoughts...?

Thank you!

-dp-

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Yes I did mine a couple of weeks back. Insert a flat blade screwdriver through the slot in the back of the steering wheel and twist it 1/4 of a turn will release the air bag module. I believe there are at least 2 if not 4 of these slots. That will release the air bag module. I removed my battery cable before messing with the air bag system. The module was easy to remove after it was released through the slots in the back of the steering wheel. Easy to see how to remove the switches with the air bag out of the way.

Somewhere on this forum was how to replace the bulbs. Which I did but you had better be good at soldering with a steady hand and some patience. I did mine but in retrospect would buy the whole new switch. Shop around as Amazon had some at a good price. The bulbs at Radio Shack worked fine. Just a big pain to solder in. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts