Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1968 deVille
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to swap a 64 steering wheel on to my 68. Have always loved the look of the 64 wheel. What is required to make this happen? Any experience or advice is appreciated. THanks in advance -Jamie

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
I believe you'll have to swap out the whole steering column. The neck of the 64 wheel is much thinner than that of the 68. Good luck.

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
I believe you'll have to swap out the whole steering column. The neck of the 64 wheel is much thinner than that of the 68. Good luck.
Correct. The column and shifter are very different. Also, the 64 column and wheel will not have the energy absorbing function that the 68 wheel/column assembly has.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
19 Posts
Ok, I have a different take on this question. I am interested in putting an aftermarket wood steering wheel on my 68. Is this an easy swap? I was looking at the Grant Steering Wheels and they have kits, but wasn't sure if the swap is simple like some of the other cars I have owned.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
You need the adaptor kit, but it doesn't seem like it should be terribly difficult. I've seen several cars of this era with this swap and haven't heard any horror stories from the owners about doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts