Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 sls /1998 z28 LS1 cammed/stalled/spray
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just bought a 1994 sls, and i took the car around to my back yard the steering wheel started to smoke not heavy just a little smoke. i noticed that it only will start to smoke if the wheel is turn to the left or right. but it only smoked maybe 4 times and it hasn't done it since. i was worried because a wire might be touching something and i dont want it to catch on fire.

has anyone ever had this problem? i dont know how to remove the wheel, or i would have pulled it off right there.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Most times the smoke is from grease on the horn contact just under the wheel applied during assembly. Odd tho that this age of car would still smoke unless it had a recent steering column repair?

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
My 2000 did this. It was the multifunction turn switch (cruise/hi beams/turn signal) -- one more thing that cost an arm and a leg to fix.

·
Registered
1994 sls /1998 z28 LS1 cammed/stalled/spray
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was checking the high beams today about a hour before the smoke started. i had it in the back yard by the garage and i turnt the wheel and it would smoke but it would take like 1minute to 2minutes for it to smoke then it lasted maybe 8 seconds and stop for about 3-5 mins. it only smoked maybe 4 times at the most. is it just the high beam/turn signal that would need to be replaced.

Is there a write up on the site that shows how to take a the steering wheel off and get to the turn signal or am i on my own on this one?

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
??? I took mine to the dealer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts