Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly turned on vehicle to drive to the store, and the steering wheel as a i press the gas pedal and accelerate steering wheel turns to the left a bit, and if i try to move it straight car goes right!, its weird when im almost stopping at a very slow speed it starts feeling like i can put the steering wheel back straight. Also when driving on freeway anything on the floor like little bumps make my whole car wobble like if i can loose control!, i have not hit ant pot holes recently i usually drive reallyy careful. Car always drove amazing even yesterday it felt perfect, i dont remember hitting a pothole at least for the last month, any ideas?

Air pressure is good, rims look good too! Im lost im scared it will ve expensive to fix :(, 2013 Ats no warranty thanks any comments are welcomed

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
If you aren't mechanically inclined and familiar with suspension and steering components you need to get this to a shop pronto, this is nothing to fool around with or wait.

It could be a lot of things and most are fairly inexpensive to fix but you need to get it up on the rack and have someone who knows what they are doing check suspension and steering components. Out of warranty because of miles? If so you could have wear to a front end component but more likely damaged or loose part. The near loss of control when hitting a bump makes it sound very much like a suspension or steering component issue and not the electric steering assist motor/controller.

ON edit, is your ATS AWD or RWD?

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,708 Posts
Why is it out of warranty? You posted you bought it last month with 35K miles on it. Does the reason its out of warranty give any possible clues?

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,830 Posts
WTH does this mean: "Also when driving on freeway anything on the floor like little bumps make my whole car wobble like if i can loose control!,"

CCC

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased car without warranty, from an owner. 37k miles atm got it with 34k. Its very strange how i drove it in the morning and it was perfect parked home. We got a lot of rain for the whole day then rain went away i went to the store and this happened.. And yes im definitely taking it to a mechanic shop for suspension. Its just i wanted to get an idea on what it could be, that way they dont take advantage and overcharge me, hopefully its nothing major ?. Suspension parts go out randomly right? I have not hit a pothole recently im a very careful driver.. But well if anyone has some idea what it can be let me know.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,708 Posts
I purchased car without warranty, from an owner. 37k miles atm got it with 34k.
The question was WHY doesn't it have a warranty? The bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years and 50K miles. So was it a salvage title or something which could indicate a major accident that wasn't repaired right.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No accidents, has airbags and everything. Its a flood salvage, but there was no really water inside the car, it was just in a zone where all cars got totaled, hard to explain and believe but last owner is a very good friend of my dad and owns a dealership of salvage cars, but this was his personal vehicle had it since 2013 and no issues at all, he drove like 20k miles, if water went inside motor or tranny it would of gone out by then. So its hard to believe its a suspension problem since car has not been crashed at all. I have hit potholes, just not recently that is why i think its strange :/

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Have you checked to make sure all your wheels are on properly and the lugs are torqued down. That's the first thing I would check, second would be to get the tires road force balanced by a shop with a Hunter wheel balancer. Third would be to get alignment checked, if there is a suspension problem they should see it and you can get the repair done.

·
Registered
2017 Silver Coast Metalic Premium Luxury
216 Posts
I think the car has electronic steering. Correct me if I'm wrong. If it does there could be issues with the connectors possibly. Corrosion, dirt etc.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Agree that's a strong possibility since its flood salvage. That's the issue with flood salvage, they can make it look great again but the corrosion in the wiring just keeps getting worse over time.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lotfor your alls advice, i have not been using the car today, i will wait until tomorrow to get it checked make sure i dont mess something up, i pray its nothing major hopefully! Or electronics stuff, cause im sure ill be spending thousands if i need to fix that :(. Car just feels like it has something loose, or idk, definitely taking it to a suspension shop, i have a decent shop my dad told me about, or should i take it to the dealer cadillac? Im assuming dealers always ask for more money and say everything is wrong but im not sure, what do you all recomend? Suspension shop first? Or go straight cadillac

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
That all depends on how good both shops are. Dealers if they are good will identify the problem fast and maybe able to get parts faster. Since you don't have a warranty no harm trying the shop your dad recommended. If they can't figure it out then go to a Caddie dealer. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
With a flood situation both electronics problems and accelerated deterioration of suspension components is possible. Was this a fresh or salt water flood?

The electric power steering system uses a servo motor coupled with sensors and a controller to provide power assist in the direction the driver is turning the wheel. Although the system is designed to self-monitor and diagnose along with taking itself offline when there is a major issue if the electronics have been compromised the system could very well be "sensing" that the owner is trying to turn the wheel when he isn't. A significant jolt on the highway could easily cause a compromised sensor or connector to make it appear that the driver is rapidly turning the steering wheel which would lead to the feeling (and real possibility) of losing control.

Your shop should be able to identify any mechanical issue with the suspension and steering system easily. IF the loss of control feeling on the highway is easily repeatable when hitting bumps the shop can temporarily disable the electric assist and then try it on the highway. This is NOT something you should do as a customer. Steering feel will become very heavy as early owners found when a bad connection caused the electric steering system to shut down. You still have the usual mechanical connection to control steering but power assist is lost. If the near loss of control problem disappears when electric steering is disabled then you know the problem lies within that system. At that point they can diagnose the issue and you will need to decide, based upon findings, how to proceed. IF the water level rose high enough there is a great potential for many more electrical problems later especially if the car wasn't properly serviced immediately after the event. If it was salt or brackish water involved I would start looking at ways to cut my losses.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
With a flood situation both electronics problems and accelerated deterioration of suspension components is possible. Was this a fresh or salt water flood?

The electric power steering system uses a servo motor coupled with sensors and a controller to provide power assist in the direction the driver is turning the wheel. Although the system is designed to self-monitor and diagnose along with taking itself offline when there is a major issue if the electronics have been compromised the system could very well be "sensing" that the owner is trying to turn the wheel when he isn't. A significant jolt on the highway could easily cause a compromised sensor or connector to make it appear that the driver is rapidly turning the steering wheel which would lead to the feeling (and real possibility) of losing control.

Your shop should be able to identify any mechanical issue with the suspension and steering system easily. IF the loss of control feeling on the highway is easily repeatable when hitting bumps the shop can temporarily disable the electric assist and then try it on the highway. This is NOT something you should do as a customer. Steering feel will become very heavy as early owners found when a bad connection caused the electric steering system to shut down. You still have the usual mechanical connection to control steering but power assist is lost. If the near loss of control problem disappears when electric steering is disabled then you know the problem lies within that system. At that point they can diagnose the issue and you will need to decide, based upon findings, how to proceed. IF the water level rose high enough there is a great potential for many more electrical problems later especially if the car wasn't properly serviced immediately after the event. If it was salt or brackish water involved I would start looking at ways to cut my losses.

Good luck!
:yeah: this is why GM abandoned that car and scrapped it ..... scrappers (they prefer to be called wholesalers), on the other hand, love these because they look like too good to be true bargains, and get recycled back into the used car supply or exported and problem shifted to the unfortunate next owner insead of stripped for parts like it probably should have been.

i would re-evaluate your friendship with that used car dealer/wholesaler if he is willing to risk his own neck that's more or less his personal choice.....but his willingness to risk others is where i have a problem with this story.....unless he is a salt of the earth stand up guy and willing to take the car back and wash you of the problems, this can become a very costly headache....luckily, you're catching it before anything really bad happens other than financial

----------

lets take my car for instance.....if the flood got high enough not to damage my interior (thus the car can look like new) that still leaves the steering rack, as well as ABS, magnetic ride, and various sensors for transmission, and emissions (O2 sensor) all underwater and at jeopardy for who knows how long and what conditions (salt water, etc)

get a little higher to just the carpet needs cleaning or replacing, and the level of electronics affected jumps significantly....things like the gas pedal (this is electronic drive by wire) and the safety systems in the seat (like the digital scale part of the occupancy sensors that arms the airbag), corrode the can-bus wiring harness (which is in the transmission tunnel) and suddenly there is no electrical and electronic part of the car that is not potentially affected by this

----------

salvage doesn't necessarily mean death to the car...there are some instances where they are ok...such as some exotics that are built with the chassis consisting of sub frames. those sub frames can be replaced and the the car is as good as new, or carbon fiber chassis', those can be patched or repaired and a rare instance where the repair is stronger than new....and a strange case where salvage is fine is with some neo-classics like the Porsche 944....the rear hatch has a huge curved piece of glass that is so expensive, those cars get totaled by insurers if that glass gets smashed

if not these types of cases then salvage is seriously buyer beware

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
I see lots of good advice here. One thing you could do any time is to switch between Touring and Sport mode and see if that changes jitteriness. Sport stiffens steering input (or reduces motor torque in the rack). If there is a notable change in the car's feel, that's one more puzzle piece to the steering rack concern.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, very good advice from you all. The water level was very low that nothing was reaced in vehicle, but oils, car has 0 signs of issues. Aniways i went to my dads mechanic and he said car is perfect, that most likely electronic steering needs to be reprogrammed, because it pulls right, other than that, he said reprogramin steering wheel in cadillac should do. I called cadillac and they said i still had some stuffike recalls and free oil change and some services, i will take it in thursday, and let them know to tell me how much it is to fix that steering wheel issue, and trying sport mode is definitely a good idea! If it feels better then its definitely the electronic steering correct?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
What did the mechanic say about the feeling of loss of control when you hit a bump? A slight offset in the electric/electronic steering system won't cause that and that was the most significant safety issue of the symptoms you reported. I hope there is no problem but if that symptom still exists the problem needs to be run down. The "death wobble" is only common (and at one point considered by the manufacturers to be normal) for some of the 4WD Ford and Dodge HD pickups with solid/straight front axles :)

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, its still in the dealership, first tought they had was needs alignment, i paid the 120 fee for diagnosis i think its called. They said maybe 2 more days, said they were busy, its anoyying im without a car :/.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, dealership called me back. They have found the problem!, they said its the 2 rear lower control arms, one is busted and the other is bent. Its really weird i believe since i have not hit any potholes, then again i just purchased this vehicle around 40 days ago. I do remember a small clunk when going on bumps very slowly, and not all the times, i read it was common in Ats, but maybe it was the lower control arms messing up. Aniways they said it would not be over $400 including parts and labor, i gabe the Ok", its weird the suspension shop said it looked perfect as far as suspension, but well im sure nothing like the certified mechanics from Cadillac. What do you all think? Good price? Smart choice? He said it also includes 4 wheel alignment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts