Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V Black;08 Yukon Denali
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted, this seems kind of petty, and it's really not a big issue yet, but has anyone had their steering wheel leather flake off?
I probably have 3-4 very small spots where the leather must be worn and a tiny spot of what seems to be the first layer/coating of leather or material has come off. The steering wheel itself does not appear worn in any particular area, just these 3-4 tiny spots that are not really noticable to anyone but me right now.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing, and what they did about it (if anything)...

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Not yet for me. ;-)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You can only wear gloves if you're Speed Racer or Driving Miss Daisy. Otherwise, I laugh at you. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh. Especially if it's specifically done so in order to protect the leather on your steering wheel. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh again. Mine are not flaking, but a dealer scuffed up my steering wheel. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at me. Said it must have happened while they were doing the alignment. That's funny, because my steering wheel is off center. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at them. Said they would order a new wheel and change it out on next visit. Have been too afraid to go back. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at me, again. And at Cadillac dealers. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. And me. Again. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

There's a lot of laughing at me going on here. Looks like I'm the idiot. Thank you much so.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
I wear driving gloves all the time (in my cars, that is).

Check out these sites: http://www.damascusgear.com/section/products/driving/index.html

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/index.htm

I use the D530 myself, but I have small hands.

It is the fingernail that causes the paint chipping off the knobs (a bad painting process doesn't help!).

Gloves eliminate that and give one a better "feel" when driving.

I also have a set of full on Simpson racing gloves that I haven't used yet in three years.

Don't knock using gloves until you have a good set.:tisk:

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Thanks for the driving glove links - I have been looking for new ones. I wear gloves for motorcycling, skeet & pistol shooting, and on long trips in the V.

·
Registered
Cadillac
281 Posts
Unless you're using lots of hand cream, I don't think you'll have a problem keeping the wheel clean. Wifey will tell you I'm not exactly "Mr. Clean", and the (light shale) leather wheel in my 8-year old Caddy looked like new when I traded it. Normally, just a damp rag is all you need to clean the leather. For those who like a little more cleaning (along with a protectorant), the T/W leather cleaner and conditioner is what most of the pro detailers around here use.

Small nicks and scratches can be touched up with shoe coloring (available in most every color) from a good shoemaker's shop.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
You can only wear gloves if you're Speed Racer or Driving Miss Daisy. Otherwise, I laugh at you. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh. Especially if it's specifically done so in order to protect the leather on your steering wheel. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh again. Mine are not flaking, but a dealer scuffed up my steering wheel. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at me. Said it must have happened while they were doing the alignment. That's funny, because my steering wheel is off center. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at them. Said they would order a new wheel and change it out on next visit. Have been too afraid to go back. Ha Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at me, again. And at Cadillac dealers. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. And me. Again. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

There's a lot of laughing at me going on here. Looks like I'm the idiot. Thank you much so.
Dude your funny
Cover it in the sun. I always use a sunshade on the windshield in the summer......NOW I GOTTA GO CHECK MY DAMN WHEEL :banghead:

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
837 Posts
http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php

My first one, installed in the Impala, lasted three years and 150K miles before I replaced it (started to wear the color off). It also increases the diameter of the steering wheel slightly which I have found makes holding on for many hours during drives from GA to Quebec City very comfortable. Take the time to do a nice baseball stitch (an hour maybe?) and you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
2006 Raven CTS-V
1,245 Posts
I wear leather gloves too. They're very comfortable and now it feels really strange if I don't wear them. And as Heavy said, they also have the added benefit of protecting the leather and radio buttons.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
I got Lamborghini driving gloves at the Lamborghini factory in Italy..the only reason I bought them was because they were on sale for 30 euro marked down from 175 euro!

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
I'd go with something exotic.

For instance, here's a wrap made from the bung of a rhinoceros.

There is now Gatorade sprayed all over my monitor, thanks...

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I am hoping the guys picking on my wrap on not the same ones cruising around in their "driving" gloves.

I started using wraps because my 92 Saturn had a leather steering wheel, and like the OP said, leather was breaking down and starting to flake off after about 50k miles. That was when I went with the "Walmart" wheel wrap. I agree, they look stupid, but who gives a f**k?

I tried those Wheelskins. They look nice but they are not cheap. And they take 2-3 hours to lace up on the wheel. And it is basically the same thing as what you started with, leather that starts flaking, only faster (for me after a couple months). And in the cold when it is really dry (here in Chicago, that means all winter) leather gets slippery=no grip=hand can slip off the wheel=dangerous.

Say what you will about the cheap ass, rhino-bung, walmart-esque, 1950's wheel wrap; you guys will anyway. I really don't care. I have thick skin, and SD is always good for some laughs. But regardless, they are very cheap ($5) and when they wear out, 1 minute to take the old one off, about 15 minutes to put the new one on. And they give excellent grip in any weather. And I get about 2-3 years before they start tearing and have to be replaced.

No offense Heavy, but I am NOT wearing driving gloves. I hate gloves for one thing. Even in the bitter cold I don't wear them. And my dopey ass sitting in my V will look alot dumber wearing racing gloves than having a wrap on my wheel.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Thanks for posting the Hot Babes in your sig.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts