Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has to have been covered before, But I just can not find the proper search string to locate it.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to change the lights that illuminate the steering wheel controls. IE, Temp, Fan, etc. I have a feeling it's not serviced by the dealer, but has anyone found a way to do so anyway?

Dustin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,789 Posts
I just replaced one on my daughters '99. I even took it apart to see if I could repair it before ordering a new one. Funny, but I don't remember seeing a light in it. Maybe the '99 is not illuminated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranger said:
I just replaced one on my daughters '99. I even took it apart to see if I could repair it before ordering a new one. Funny, but I don't remember seeing a light in it. Maybe the '99 is not illuminated.

Maybe it's a mini LED then. How did you go about replacing the switch? The one that's dead for me is the Seek.

Dustin

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You might be able to disassemble it and Radio Shack it to work, however GM doesn't offer any service parts for these switches.
They are replaced as an assembly. I have never taken the time to disassemble one to see if it's doable.
We replace plenty of them.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Trench said:
Maybe it's a mini LED then...
Dustin
I don't think it's an LED, because they get warm. On newer models that is more plausible.

I bet re-doing the interior in LEDs would look modern--especially the IPC, and the interior courtesy lights.

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts
Trench said:
Maybe it's a mini LED then. How did you go about replacing the switch? The one that's dead for me is the Seek.

Dustin
I had to remove the air bag. Once that was out, there where just two screws on the backside that held the switch in place. I think it was $35 from rockauto. Go to the Tech Tips section. I stickied a parts list there. I printed that out and compared the part number to the number on the back of the switch and it was a perfect match so I knew I was ordering the right part. Once the switch was out I just pried the rocker off to have a look inside. That may be able to be done without removing anything. I can't recall for sure. I replaced hers because it was not returning to the center (neutral) position. When I popped off the rocker I found a little plastic nipple broken off. I do remember seeing the switch inside that the rocker operates but, for the life of me I do not recall a light.

Be sure to pull the air bag fuse before you do anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can replace the bulb. It is soldered to the circuit board inside of the switch. I just fixed one on my 2000 STS. You can buy the bulbs at Radio Shack PN 272-1092 12v Micro Lamp (2 per package) I think they were about $1.49?? I have a second set of switches that I picked up (both bulbs burnt) and they do not pop apart like the one I repaired.

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts
I think there is a difference. I asked her today and of coarse she is not sure but thinks that they are not illuminated. That's on a '99. My '02 is, so at some point they became illuminated. Looks like it was 2000 from Marvins post above.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
Ranger said:
I think there is a difference. I asked her today and of coarse she is not sure but thinks that they are not illuminated. That's on a '99. My '02 is, so at some point they became illuminated. Looks like it was 2000 from Marvins post above.
My 99 controls WERE illuminated also.. They have since gone out and have been added to my long list of things I will never fix on the car! It is getting ridiculous. Now half my LED brake lamp is out ...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marvin572 said:
You can replace the bulb. It is soldered to the circuit board inside of the switch. I just fixed one on my 2000 STS. You can buy the bulbs at Radio Shack PN 272-1092 12v Micro Lamp (2 per package) I think they were about $1.49?? I have a second set of switches that I picked up (both bulbs burnt) and they do not pop apart like the one I repaired.
Exactly what I was looking to hear. :) Thank you.

How did you go about taking apart the switch,t hough?

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts
STS-in-Nottingham said:
I have a 99 and mine are illuminated.
:hmm: Obviously, my daughter does not know her own car very well. Women :bigroll:. I swear I didn not see a bulb in there. Now I am officially confused. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
1999 STS (Z rated, Right hand drive)
207 Posts
Cadillac should bring back Fibre Optics, I used to own a 1977 Seville,you could check the front and rear lights were working from inside the car,
I think it would be a good idea to have all the switches illuminated via Fibre Optic cables from one central point, this way you would have just one bulb to change in an easy location.

·
Registered
1998 STS
49 Posts
On my 98 STS the HVAC steering wheels button light quit working and a month later it started working again. It has worked fine since.

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts
STS-in-Nottingham said:
Cadillac should bring back Fibre Optics, I used to own a 1977 Seville,you could check the front and rear lights were working from inside the car,
I think it would be a good idea to have all the switches illuminated via Fibre Optic cables from one central point, this way you would have just one bulb to change in an easy location.
Nah, That would be WAY to easy. Besides, if they did that, you just know they'd bury that one central bulb somewhere inaccessable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lamp replacement:
Once switch is removed from the steeing wheel, remove screw and seperate the housing. You may need to use a utility razor knife to get it started. Be carefull not to damage the tabs when using the razor. When appart you will see the lamp on the circuit board. Remove old lamp by just bending it over and cut the wires. Leave enough old wire on the board to be able to grab when you heat the contacts with a soldering iron. You will have to save and reuse the small black lamp mount. Install the new lamp into the black mount and resolder to the circuit board. You can test it out after using a 9v battey and test leads. When you reassemble the housing use a few spots of glue on the corners. Let dry before putting the screw back in. Reinstall in your car. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Marvin572 said:
Lamp replacement:
Once switch is removed from the steeing wheel, remove screw and seperate the housing. You may need to use a utility razor knife to get it started. Be carefull not to damage the tabs when using the razor. When appart you will see the lamp on the circuit board. Remove old lamp by just bending it over and cut the wires. Leave enough old wire on the board to be able to grab when you heat the contacts with a soldering iron. You will have to save and reuse the small black lamp mount. Install the new lamp into the black mount and resolder to the circuit board. You can test it out after using a 9v battey and test leads. When you reassemble the housing use a few spots of glue on the corners. Let dry before putting the screw back in. Reinstall in your car. :thumbsup:

You the man! :bouncy: Thank you very much.

EDIT: on closer inspection, those images appear to be nothing like what I would imagine my switches would look like. The ones pictures appear to have 4 switches per board. Mine would only be two. hmmmm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts