Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39,81,86 Fleetwoods, 80 Eldo and Sev.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping for some advice or experience from changing out steering racks. I replaced the engine in my 60k miles black garage kept ETC and decided to also change the rack among many other items. Big mistake. Engine fine but rack has been a problem. First rack didn't set off any codes but drove terribly. Very heavy down low and psycho in high speed corners regarding effort. Second rack installed still very heavy down low but consistent at higher speeds. Neither rack nearly as good as original. Now second rack set off the steering wheel position sensor code. Thinking logically that the rack was the issue switched back to the first replacement rack and of course the code stayed the same. The code comes and goes when it feels like it, but always returns. What should I do now?

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
Whenever any work is done that separates the steering column from the rack/intermediate shaft the wheel needs to be locked dead center.

The steering wheel position sensor is wrapped around the lower portion of the steering column - a magnetic donut. There are at least 3 types, so you need to know which one is in your car/model. If the wheel is turned more than one revolution when the rack is out then it's ruined. Remove the steering column and replace the position sensor.

That sensor is one of the over a dozen sensors that controls your CVRSS active suspension system.

Take out a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - the GM/Cadillac service manuals plus a lot more. You'll need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I can tell you the steering wheel was not turned that much, that's a lot it sounds like. But it seems to be the issue now what with the tcs c1288 code popping up the first time I turn the wheel after a start.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
Before you rip into the steering column, get to the position sensor electrical connector. Unplug it and plug it back in. Possily an iffy pin connection. I've seen that in here before.

C 1288 = Steering sensor circuit malfunction

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my steering wheel position sensor in and the column out of the car. Even subsribed to the all data iy. Thank you for all the good advice. My question is before I install the column back what about the steering ANGLE sensor? Is their a routine for setting it straight?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts