Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV Platinum
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Since I bought my 2005 Escalade Platinum AWD (20" factory wheels) two years ago I have had a steering issue that I need some help/advice with. When I make tight turns, no matter what the speed, the front tires squeal and skid in the oddest way, and I am noticing the outer tread wear on both tires is far greater than the middle or inner tread. I am living with the turning radius of a battleship, but this is becoming quite irksome. Let me detail the steps I have taken to troubleshoot this issue before I proceed further (in no particular order):

I cheeked the tire pressures and they were perfect. I even took an afternoon and tested different pressures (one pound at a time) to see if there was any change. There was none.

I had the front end checked and all the suspension parts are tight and well lubed.

I had the car aligned, and in reviewing the printout from the computer the specs are perfect.

I have asked other mechanics if there is anything endemic to the Platinum series that would cause this and they say nothing that they are aware of. The local dealer is less than knowledgeable. I have read this series is a l little lower to the ground by design, and while it looks cool (all Escalades do) I am wondering what I should check to see if someone brought it down a little more on a whim. This is my second Escalde (and I have had numerous Tahoe's and Suburbans) and hands down my favorite. Never a major issue or reoccurring nuisance (other than this) and I would really like to solve this problem. I hope I have been descriptive enough to give everyone the data to provide a solution.

Any council?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
How many miles? That skidding almost sounds like when you have a 2wd truck in 4wd and you turn the wheel sharp & slow and it skids a bit. And you said it only happens when you turn one way or both

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has 125,000 miles on it, but this has been occurring for the last 35,000 miles (since I bought it). It feels like the car is only using the outside of the tire to grip the road. I understand this is a normal function of a turn, bit it is far more pronounced than other large SUVs I have owned. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
At that mileage I would for sure have the front end alignment checked

Mine had uneven wear on the front tires and after I had the front realigned it has been prefect wear on all four

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've had the alignment checked twice by two different, reputable shops, and all is well. This only occurs during a turn, and even at slow speeds the sliding sensation is like I am turning at high speeds, if that makes any sense. It's a strange problem to describe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires now have 25000 miles on them. The remainder of the tires (both front and back, but this issue only relates to the front) have what looks like standard wear on them.

You mentioned alignment in an earlier response. Is there a special way that the platinum series needs to be aligned since its stance is lower than a standard escalde? I'm grasping at straws here, but I have read several of your responses to others on separate issues and you seem pretty knowledgeable about these vehicles. Am I describing the problem properly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts