Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 Redline V
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here for a long while but still remember the best place for help! I still have my 2005 CTS-V but have not put many miles on her over the last few years. I cannot find any posts about this particular issue so I'm asking if anyone has seen this before?

Last summer I had to get a new front subframe installed. That's a different story though (involving a big rock.) I believe it is a new subframe and was installed by a GM dealer. They declined to replace the leaking steering rack because they could see it had been leaking before the rock accident. Before it leaked a little. Afterwards, within 100 miles, it was leaking much worse so I decided it was time for me to replace it myself.
I bought a rebuilt one (buyautoparts-dot-com) and installed it along with new pump, pressure hose and VES solenoid. When I first turned the steering wheel a few degrees I felt a hard stop. Turned it back opposite and felt the same hard stop. What I found was that the lower shaft pinch bolt was hitting the subframe. It was hitting on both the protruding thread end and the head end. Here is the bolt I am referring to:

I took everything loose again thinking maybe I could push the rack forward and left to fix the problem but the rack is hard located to the left mounting hole so there was really no way to move the rack. The pinion shaft has a relief notch to locate the pinch bolt so the bolt doesn't move either. Here are a few photos of the interference location.
IMG_5092.JPG
IMG_5097.JPG
IMG_5098.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG

After torquing the rack mount bolts while holding the rack as far as I could tilt it forward, I now have a very, very slight clearance but it is obviously still not right. Any slight movement could lock up the steering.

Maybe the "new" subframe is somehow bad? That seems unlikely but possible since the bolt interference is on the same subframe where the gear is mounted.
Maybe the rebuilt steering gear is bad? Best I can measure with it in the car, it appears to match the original assembly.
I have also noticed that the interface between the bottom of the steering gear mounting feet and the top of the pads on the subframe are not exactly parallel. When the steering gear is mounted, I can see a gap on the inside edge under both feet. Is there some type of spacer that belongs in between that interface? If so, that would raise the gear and solve all of the issues. I have not been able to find any reference to that type of part in the data I have access to or online. There definitely was no spacer when I took old gear out but dealer could have left it out when replacing the subframe.
I don't have much confidence in either the dealer or the gear vendor. Looking here for some help before attacking either one of them.

Anyone have an idea what I am missing?

Thanks for any ideas,
Randy

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
430 Posts
I'm not 100% because it's been some time since I was in there for my car, but I seem to remember a bushing or washer that spaces the rack up ever so slightly. As a grain of salt, it's been 3 years since I did anything with the rack, so it's a bit fuzzy.

Try some stainless washers below the mount feet and see if it improves the function by raising it slightly.

Still have the old one? If so check and see if maybe there are washers/ hat bushings on the lower half that stuck to the feet.

I also appreciate the link to the rack, my car is starting to leak, but ves solonoid and the rest of the system are in good working order. Are you sure it's a V ratio rack? I do know there are some difference between the base/sport and V racks, but I'm unsure if it goes beyond ratio.

-Byron

·
Registered
05 Redline V
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Byron. Glad to hear you have vague recollection of a spacer. That is what I am hoping to get defined.

FYI, I chose that gear vendor because they state on their website that their original business was rebuilding steering gears, and they are still doing that. I was hoping that might be better than through a third party, but one of the tubes on the gear I received was fubar and it was obviously not just shipping damage. They couldn't provide another one so I swapped it out with the one I already had and they kicked me back $25. That is my main reason for lacking some confidence in them at this point. I am holding onto my core until I have a working car.

I have not read of any envelope differences with the CTS sport rack. The only option I found shopping these gears was either with or without the solenoid port. I have read of some guys having different port depth issues. I think mine is OK on that issue but I have not applied any pressure yet. I quit filling the PS fluid when I found the bolt interference.

My VES valve was fine until I started removing it. I spun the upper plastic part relative to the metal hex on the body. It is likely still good if the upper part is just a typical solenoid coil acting on a valve spool. Didn't want to worry about it though so decided to replace it along with the new rack and pump.

There were no spacers on the gear assy that I removed but, as I wrote before, that could have been a dealer omission. I have definitely had issues with them in the past. Guess I'm a real slow learner.

As stated above, I belive spacers would solve the problem. I would like to use the correct part if there is such a thing. I hope to roll under a buddy's 2004 V this weekend if I can't get more definite info from the forum.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
33 Posts
I did some research on this, the GM books do not call for any spacers upon installation / removal, nor do the parts catalog show any.

There are three different Steering Gears for the CTS:

V - P/N 19320535 (Formerly 36R0437)
STD - P/N 19320513 (Formerly 36R0415)
FE1 SUSP - P/N 19320514 (Formerly 36R0416)

There are also different engine subframes. The 2005 LS-6 subframe should be part number 10360587 (Formerly 25752679).

What I can't tell you unfortunately, is if the geometry is different between the various racks and the subframe, but you may be able to look and compare if any of those numbers are on your rebuilt rack / subframe.

Also, the lower steering shaft u-joint bolt should be a (M10X1.5X38,14.5THD) if you want to verify the bolt.

Since the interference seems to be between the rack and subframe (which the rack bolts to), short of verifying the correct parts I don't have any suggestions.

One footnote: You mentioned you believe the replaced subframe was new - the truth is many dealership body shops use used parts. You may be able to verify this in the service records of that dealer (and the part number they sourced).

Good luck!

·
Registered
05 Redline V
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn, I was sure hoping for the spacer solution!

Thanks for the research AF, it is much appreciated. Sorry for delayed reply. I had to be out of town for a couple of days and have had no time to focus on the car since returning.
I will use the PNs you provided to check against what I have. Hopefully that will define my problem. The body shop originally told me they had a line on a used subframe but they could not get it for some reason and we had to wait a good 10 days to get one from GM. That's why I was thinking it is new but I will check it out. The bolt does match your description, but since it touches frame on both thread end and head end, the length is not the problem.

Thanks again,
Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts