Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take my steering wheel off to service my key cylinder and washer fluid switch under the steering column guard.

I read in the manual that I need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. I don't know how they are attached to the column. Do I really need one? also the SIR or air bag on the steering wheel,,,, Is pulling the fuse behind the rear seats all I need to do to disarm the bag? Is it still armed after I take it off the wheel? There are a lot of notes in the manual just trying to get the gist of the notes.
I think the bag is still armed but not sure... What kind of work is involved in removing the wheel?:hmm:

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I am not sure you need to remove the steering wheel for servicing the key cylinder and the washer fluid switch. I guess won't hurt anything, you get more space to work.
To remove the steering wheel disconnect the battery (one terminal) at least 15-20 minutes before starting the job, the reason I recommend the battery is that really cuts the power, removing one fuse is OK but maybe you remove the wrong fuse so addressing the battery is safer. The reason you need to wait at lest 15-20 minutes (recommended is 30 minutes) is the capacitors in the SIR module will still have a charge for a while and you never now with these things.
After the waiting period locate the 4 "T" screws located in the back of the steering deep inside some 4 holes. Just slide your hand behind the steering wheel (the back side of the steering wheel is the part of the steering wheel facing the dash). Observe the center part of the steering with the Cadillac emblem, the part you press for the horn, those holes should be on the other side of the steering wheel (the back side) corresponding to the corners of the center piece, you can't miss the holes...
Sorry I can't remember what size Torx you need but is something either T25 or T30.
Take those 4 screws out and the center piece is free now (but still attached with wires to the steering wheel).
When handling the center piece always keep in mind is almost like a bomb, so position yourself in such a way that is not going to break your neck if it deploy, is unlikely as the power is off but static electricity and such...accidents happens all the time (wear cotton).
So the screws are out the center piece (airbag) is loose, slowly remove it away just enough so you can see the wires behind. Disconnect those connectors and then store the airbag in a open space with the side facing you up. Don't put anything on it as if it deploys that thing will become a projectile. Again it should not happen but safety first.
Now with no airbag, you can see the big bolt holding the steering wheel attached to the shaft (I believe you need a 23mm for that). And YES you do need a steering wheel puller, NO WAY in the word you can pull it without one.

Here is one example how is done

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab
372 Posts
N* Caddy, There is more to disarming the airbags. There are 2 bright yellow wires to be disconnected 1 on the drivers side up under the lower dash panel by the E-brake you will see a large yellow wire with a connector just disconnect and that side is done. Then you need to do the same thing on the passenger side you must remove the glove box once removed you will see the exact same yellow wire unplug this one and the system is totally disarmed.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
Any time I have pulled an air bag all I did was pull the fuse. I'm not positive, but it would seem to me that all those other plugs are just redundant safety (liability) procedures. You could take it a step further and connect a ground wire to yourself to prevent static electricity build up. In fact I seem to recall something like that, but not sure if I saw it in the FSM or not.

Does the '97 still use a lock ring and thus the need for a lock ring removal tool?

·
Registered
1997 ETC
5,105 Posts
Ranger the FSM doesn't call for grounding it just say for disconnection of the 2 yellow two-way connectors on steering column base and glove compartment, along with the fuse removal from the trunk panel.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
When i changed the steering wheel with the wood grain last fall
i just took the fues out and unpluged the batter also didn't want to short anything out or have any power going to it to blow the airbags
but then latter on someone ones told me that the airbags could still go off without the battery wich i don't understand i don't think he new what he was talking about only person who ever told me that but maybe it is true
but now matter what you need to some how cut the power to the airbag compnents and bag also

weather you take one of the 3 steps sujested

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Again, disconnect the battery, wait 20 minutes then remove the steering wheel. The orange wires under the steering column are going to the airbag module (center of the steering wheel trough the clock spring). There is a connector behind the airbag module on the steering wheel visible once you remove the 4 screws I mentioned. You need to disconnect that one (plus the horn and the steering controls wires) in order to remove the steering wheel). That's it no other wires, you disconnected the battery, you waited 20 minutes, there is no power on the system, the only source of power is static electricity. Wear cotton, don't touch the connectors, ground yourself if you want, that's about it.

Is enough removing the fuse but as I mentioned what if you remove the wrong fuse? It could happen so just remove the battery and you are safe, there is only one battery after all.

·
Registered
08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah there are a bunch of fuses next to each other so removing the Battery is my best bet along with the fuse and connectors. How would I get to the key cylinder if I dont remove the cover How else do you remove the cover without removing the steering wheel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts