Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My steering column is broken and I had it diagonosed it by the dealership and they said that they will need to replace the whole thing. I will explain what happened and how it came about:
1. The steering was tighted back in Oct08 be the dealership because it was loose.
2. The same thing started happening again and the steering became loose in the past few months.
3. I drove the car to my inlaws place on Saturday and all of a sudden the steering wheel fell hangin left on a ball (but I drove it for 20KMs).
4. I was still able to drive the car and drove it to the dealership and let them examine it.
5. They told me they cant find a brand new part to replace it, and a used part along would the labour would cost $800.
Now they didnt specify a part number or such but did mention that its worth 1.5hrs of labour and $600 for the assembly.
I am totally lost and dont know what to do about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
are you trying to say that your steering wheel fell off? or the column has fallen apart? what year is your car?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
wtf? what fell off the whole wheel?
if it is a 2003 there is a service bulliton for steering shaft bolt under-torqued im not sure what other years it affecgted but i noticed on service history mine had it recalled for it.

·
Registered
CTS
3 Posts
Was there ever a clockspring replacement or airbag service before this? I wrenched for quite a few years and this wasn't something I had to replace too many times.

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
The vehicle is 3.2 CTS 2003
No the steering wheel is still there, I can drive the car, its broke from the steering column..
I can drive it, but its really scary.
I am not sure if ever the airbag was replaced, I bought the car in Oct 08.

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do I have to replace the steering wheel and column? would I be able to use the existing airbag? Can this be done by myself or has to be done at the dealership?

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Can you tell us what the exact problem is? The way that you are explaining it, is that the steering wheel fell off of the car and you are able to drive it. That does not make sense at all. You need to tell us more about it please.

Are you saying that you are able to take the steering wheel off with out much force? Or does it feel lose when you turn the wheel while driving or stopped?

We need more information...

KOT

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
im with Kingoftypos on this...i am definitely confused in what you are trying to say or ask...

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I will explain as much as I can.. The steering didnt come out of the drive shaft. Rather seems like the part that was holding the steering to the body broke. As a result the steering is moving 5 inch either side.

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
Drive shaft?? Not to be rude or anything. You have a rear wheel drive car, unless you have an 07 (or 08) or later CTS. Then you may have AWD. But if you have the later, you wouldn't be complaining about the price because it will be covered under warranty.

But what you described sounds like a tie rod end has fallen apart. I honestly don't know how much one would cost. But it also depends on how bad it is, and again the way that you described it. Sounds real bad.

Maybe other's will chime in and say how much it could cost at the worst possible problem.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i apologize about my ignorance.. I just dont know how to describe the problem so thats why I said drive shaft..Its not a TIE rod either..
Its the steering column thats broken, and I was told so by the dealership.
The way I see the hookup or the vehicle is
Steering Wheel attached to Steering Column attached to Shaft component. The middle part is the problem and I believe the color of a column is chrome and that chrome broke. I am just trying to describe as much as possible.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Do you mean, without turning the wheels, you can slide the
Steering wheel and column left and right about
5inches?
I have seen this on a few older chev beretta's, and
Some geo and mid to late 90 cavilears.

Try putting up a little vid of what is happening.
This would get rid of any confusion.

As for steering, I think even with this broken
The other cars still drove straight(or as straight as
They did b4 itr broke lol the beretta was a pile)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The way I read this is that either the housing on the column broke and the whole column moves back and forth, or the upper bearing on the steering shaft is messed up and even though the steering wheel is still connected it is flopping around but is still driveable.

Step 1, stop driving this car.
Step 2, if you don't want to spend that much money, check salvage yards for an intact column. They should be readily available in the right color.
Pictures would clear things up.

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
I think as simple as taking the fuse out disables the air bag. BUT do not trust me on that. However, do trust me on this. Because I have taken the air bag off while still enabled to check out the steering wheel buttons. I just laid the air bag away.... But anyways, back to what I wanted to say. The air bag is held on by little tension wires like. Below is a picture of one of the wires I am talking about. As you can see there is a wire in the middle of that. I took this picture with my camera laying down on the column. This one is with the Cadillac emblem upside down. What you would need to do, is to insert a flat head and press down on that metal. Repeat with the other two. On the last one, hold the air bag so that it wouldn't fall too far.

Since I did not disable the air bag. I did not unplug it, so I didn't really look at how to unhook the connections.

Good luck though.

KOT

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also,
I will like to add this, (memory flash back lol)
When I diagonised the vehicle by myself, I saw that one of the Pins (left side) hold the steering fell off. The other side pin was still there.
The pin I am referring is to hold the steering wheel to the steering column.
This was just what I remembered, right now the vehicle is at the dealership(and they want to replace the whole column), so I cant take picture or video, I will get it back tonight and update the forum.
Does this mean that we cant put a pin back and need to replace the whole column along with the wheel?

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright,
I drove the car back lolz.. And I took some pictures(2left view, 1 right view), couldnt make a movie as its dark outside.
But the way its looks like the pins holding the steering to the column fell. I try to find the component that fell in the morning and probably post a picture of it.
As it looks, the left side had been tampered by the previous owner or maybe by the dealership (as back in Oct 08) I told them the steering was loose and they somehow tighted it for me.
Any comments would be great on how to put the pin back

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts