Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2020 CT4 at Baierl Cadillac in Wexford Pennsylvania 20 days ago. I have an alert that continuously pops up that says “steering assist is reduced. Drive with care”. My check engine light is also on. I took it back to the dealer. They said they made Cadillac aware of the issue . But do not have a resolution yet. Anyone else having this issue???? Or have had this issue with Cadillac/GM??

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,414 Posts
There aren't too many CT4's on the road yet, but I am thinking that ATS/CTS could have the
same problem. If the steering is the same among these models, whatever fixes an ATS/CTS should
fix your CT4.

A theory is that the check engine light might be to help you see the steering message.
The dealer should be able to see if you have 2 problems or not.

If steering to harder with this message, try Tour mode if it's in Sport mode.

What Trim + Engine, in case that matters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There aren't too many CT4's on the road yet, but I am thinking that ATS/CTS could have the
same problem. If the steering is the same among these models, whatever fixes an ATS/CTS should
fix your CT4.

A theory is that the check engine light might be to help you see the steering message.
The dealer should be able to see if you have 2 problems or not.

If steering to harder with this message, try Tour mode if it's in Sport mode.

What Trim + Engine, in case that matters?
It is the CT4 sport 2L. Color is black raven.
The car is driving normal and has been since I got it . The steering is normal. Everything on the car seems to be working properly and has been since I got it . I am just frustrated that a brand new car has malfunction lights on. This is my first Cadillac and I was so excited about it and I am just disappointed that with 300 miles on it I already had to take it in for service because of the malfunction indicator light and the steering assist.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
338 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, but sorry you're having an issue already! I remember seeing something similar popup on my ATS a few times, but it never affected the driveability of the car and was so infrequent I never had it addressed. There was a recall for the ATS for a steering bolt and I have not seen the message since they did that service a couple years ago. I'm not sure if the same ZF rack is used for the CT4, but could be likely.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
492 Posts
I have an alert that continuously pops up that says “steering assist is reduced. Drive with care”. My check engine light is also on. I took it back to the dealer. They said they made Cadillac aware of the issue . But do not have a resolution yet.
As info, per the Owner's Manual:
If power steering assist is lost due to a system malfunction, the vehicle can be steered, but may require increased effort.

If the steering assist is used for an extended period of time while the vehicle is not moving, power assist may be reduced.

If the steering wheel is turned until it reaches the end of its travel and is held against that position for an extended period of time, power steering assist may be reduced.

Normal use of the power steering assist should return when the system cools down.
Are you getting the error message after the steering has been at full lock for a period of time? If the steering effort has never felt like it wasn't being assisted, maybe there's a something misreading the length of time that power's being applied to the motor. That's best left to the engineers to determine. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts