Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Seville SLS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dreadful feeling I have a failing HG or a warped head problem. I had a leak in my radiator and ordered a replacement to have shipped. One time before I switched the radiator out it overheated. Not burring the gauge but getting way to close to the red before I could shut it down.
Lately when I start it up it idles a little rough, blows some white smoke and then stops and about once every ten days or so I get "check coolant level" on the DIC.

A guy at work told me when he had a mechanics shop he used Steel Seal on four different cars to seal any coolant leaks into the cylinders etc... and it worked great. So I looked into the product seems they have a special set up for the North Star engine....and a special price.

Wondering if anyone out there has used the Steel Seal North Star package on their Caddy? :suspense:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
Repair it correctly. A BandAid might work for a while, but then the engine is not repairable when it blows again - too much solidified crap in the cooling passages.

Moved to Engines; Northstar. Please read the several sticky threads concerning your problem in that forum.

Thread title: No !!

EDIT: ..... and you don't have a warped head problem. From your description your engine did not overheat - it just got a tad warm. Not to worry. Have you confirmed that the surge tank pressure cap is in perfect condition - and what "cold fill level" do you use ?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,840 Posts
do some research as to the CAUSE
of the failed head gasket in the Northstar motor -
and you will understand why
NONE of the stop-leak products can possibly work -

don't bother - even if it was FREE - it isn't worth it -

--------------------------

before jumping to conclusions -
here are a couple things to check -

first - check the PURGE LINE for constant coolant flow -

second - do a BLOCK TEST -
tyhe definitive test for failed head gaskets -
in the Northstar motor -

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Seville SLS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading some stickys about the North Star engines it looks as if I would be better of using the GM/Bars seal tabs for my issue. Would these be the best route to take? I would love to say I had all the time, tools, money and a garage to do a tear down to find the problem and fix it properly but I don't. Just looking for the best advice otherwise from the experts.... You all!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
The Bar's Leaks sealant tablets #HDC or the powder equivalent #G12BP was used on the assembly line to prevent nuisance weeps and warranty returns. It was discontinued in about 2006 and a TSB was issued cautioning NOT to use it during routine coolant changes.

That said, the stuff will have NO effect on failing head gasket(s). Either repair the engine properly or sell the car, with cautionary info, and look elsewhere.

Depending on your location there may be a relatively close shop that uses the block studs from www.northstarperformance.com - thus insuring a practically bulletproof engine for years to come. No, not as cheap as snake oils. But NP is the correct fix.

EDIT: You're not that far from www.northstarperformance.com - London, Ontario. If the rest of the car is in good to excellent condition it's well worth repairing correctly.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,177 Posts
:yeah:

The sealant tabs (no longer used nor recommended) where preventive in nature for the possibility of a porous aluminum casting.
Using them to seal a HG breach is like using a band-aid to try to stop a hemorrhage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts