Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Spring Break for this college student is almost here, which marks the typical first annual washing of my 96 Deville (!!). When I was talking with a friend, he suggested "steaming" the engine compartment. What he did was, with the enging running, sweep side to side ("tire to tire") across the engine bay for about ten seconds on high pressure rinse. Only difference is that he did this with a truck, so the engine was mounted longitudally, whereas mine is transverse. Would this trick still work? How do you guys suggest I approach it? Thanks for your help and hope the weather in your area is warming up (It sure needs to here!)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,955 Posts
I've done it, but you need top be careful. You can't just flood these puppies like you used to. There is a lot of electronics under the hoods now a days. Keep the spray away from the PCM, ICM, EBTCM and the alternator.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
Don't even think about it !!!

If you want to clean the engine and compartment, go at it with a spray bottle of diluted Mean Green, brushes and rags. It takes time and care, but the amount of wiring and connectors on and near the engine and the open ignition coils/wires in the 1996 definitely says "NO" to pressure washing or steam cleaning. ..........and remember - the starter motor is in the valley under the intake manifold, so, you get water down in there and you're in for a real surprise..........

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. I wasn't sure, like you guys mentioned, because of all the electronics. So glad I asked. Thanks (again :D) submariner409, that sounds like a good idea. Not only if the weather would warm up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts