Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. New member here. I was wondering if anyone on here has looked into StealthHitches as a hitch solution? I contacted them about a CTS hitch and they said they couldn't do anything for me unless I was willing to stop by their shop. They currently don't seem to make a hitch for the CTS (wagon or otherwise) and I was hoping to find other folks who had interest in these.

Apparently there setup is such that they build upon request which means they don't offer a hitch for a vehicle until someone comes to their shop and requests it. When that happens, they basically fit the first "buyer" with a free hitch and then sell everything afterward. It is like the reward for being a guinea pig.

I guess what I'm really asking here is if there is anyone on this thread that is interested in a free hitch that lives in the Sugarhill Georgia area? If you do exist, you would be doing the CTS community a solid by making a hidden hitch solution a reality for the rest of us.

Anyone?

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
There are hitches already available for the second Gen sedan and probably wagon as well. The V and Coupe may be a different story. From my view, this just isn't the car to be dragging anything with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I’m not trying to pull anything I just want to be able to use a hitch-mounted bike rack without having to stare at a hitch everyday

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Yeah I’m not trying to pull anything I just want to be able to use a hitch-mounted bike rack without having to stare at a hitch everyday
I'm considering a bike as we speak and the last rack I used was an easy mount, removable rack with good padding so that it wouldn't leave a mark, but that was before Cadillac removed the propeller and anchor from many of its models and came out with a sports sedan/coupe, so I'm not sure how well it will work for me now.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
899 Posts
Tow hitches are incredibly convenient, but it is true this car isn't that good for towing. The available hitches are 1-1/4", so pretty limited - good for a bike rack or occasional light utility trailer. My Mercury Marauder is ideal for it, and has a 2" draw bar hitch that can easily haul 3500+ lbs. Took a tent trailer to Yellowstone with it.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
Joseph, Unless you are willing to put holes in your roof, or use a trunk mounted bike hauler there are no roof options for the sedan or coupe. However the Wagon comes with rails already in place for a roof rack... If you don't have the center exhaust you can use a hitch mounted rack. Only other choice left is a trunk mounted, clip on unit. I hate those ones as they can come off easy and can put scratches and dents into the finish if not installed correctly. Believe me, I looked for better part of 6 months trying to find a way in my sedan. Big reason I went with the station wagon. Love the utility of the wagon.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Joseph, Unless you are willing to put holes in your roof, or use a trunk mounted bike hauler there are no roof options for the sedan or coupe. However the Wagon comes with rails already in place for a roof rack... If you don't have the center exhaust you can use a hitch mounted rack. Only other choice left is a trunk mounted, clip on unit. I hate those ones as they can come off easy and can put scratches and dents into the finish if not installed correctly. Believe me, I looked for better part of 6 months trying to find a way in my sedan. Big reason I went with the station wagon. Love the utility of the wagon.
Yeah well, it wasn't very clear, but I don't imagine there's any such thing as an easy mount removable rack that goes up and comes down quickly that doesn't attach to the trunk. I was actually referring to a clip on rack that goes over the trunk, but it appears the reference to the propeller and boat anchor was a bit too stealthy of a hint toward something low mounting for a model that has trimmed down and toned up. I wouldn't put a bike on the roof of anything I was driving and it would probably fit in the trunk of the boats that preceded the CTS, along with one, or two kids.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just bumping this for visibility. Again, I'm looking for any info or support on getting my hands on a stealth/hidden hitch that won't be used for towing and simply used for a hitch-mount bicycle rack.

·
Registered
96 FWB
866 Posts
Honestly sounds best just to drop by that pro shop - they'll either say you're out to lunch and go away, or, they'll put on their thinking cap and work you a solution. I wouln't insult them by expecting a relatively 'one-off' opportunity like yours to be free.

·
Registered
899 Posts
There are off-the-shelf hitches available for these cars. Although they aren't "hidden", they aren't that obtrusive either. Maybe reconsider whether your hidden requirement is reasonable in light of the car's chassis design. Crawl under there and take a look with the retail hitch attachment location in mind.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
Like I said before... As long as you don't have a center exhaust there are hitches available. Not "hidden" but they work just fine. Just have to drill holes through the floor of the trunk to get them to work. Being in the rust belt I didn't feel comfortable doing that to my car. I would rather put a roof rack on my sedan if I hadn't traded it in.

Rodney

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,262 Posts
This is how it was done on mine.
I dont recall max. tow weight but probably around 2.000 kg. I have hauled around 1.000 kg and it is a fine tow car because of the stiff suspension and bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
Max tow is < 1000Kg

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,359 Posts
If you have the center exhaust on a coupe, just ram the bike rack into one of the exhaust pipes as if it were a receiver, problem solved. :p :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,359 Posts
EjS, did you need to register that hitch as a deadly weapon? Shins better beware walking behind your wagon if the trailer is disconnected.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,815 Posts
EjS, did you need to register that hitch as a deadly weapon? Shins better beware walking behind your wagon if the trailer is disconnected.
I keep my hitch in my receiver on my Trailblazer. Everytime I walk around that truck I think about that shinknocker sticking out. I know one of these days it's gonna reach out and bite me.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,262 Posts
I rarely use it but pretty smooth integration.

Found the registration license. Max tow is 1600 kg. But apparently there is also some additional structure installed acc. to installation manual.

In EU all tow above 750 kg must be with own brake system. Max hitch weight is 75 kg.

Enough to haul a decent caravan over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts