Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS luxury
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what seems to be a static sound coming from my dash right above my steering wheel. When I first turn the car on the sound is loud and then it gradually gets quieter as the car warms up. It seems like the sound expands from heat. I really don't think that this is a big problem but the sound can be annoying, does anyone know what this is and how to fix it?? Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
Near the steering column - on the dash face - is there a small 1" square grille ? Start the car and listen carefully there......that's the air intake for the cabin air sensor, which uses a tiny muffin fan to pull cabin air over the sensor and dump it behind the dash.

If you find this is where the noise comes from, pull the grille out with a paperclip hook and (watch out for the tiny black thermistor bead just inside....) with the ventilation system ON, carefully blow out the tunnel with a computer compressed air can.

If that doesn't do the trick it's sensor rebuild/replacement time. If the grille is on the dash on the window side of the steering column, reach a bent finger into the rubber connector/duct for the window ventilation and pull the whole end off the dash. Remove the plastic tube. Way in there is a small hex head self-tapping bolt - about 5mm. Remove it and do the final pull with a set of spring mechanic's fingers. Snake out the electrical connector first, then the sensor board. Clean the muffin fan and remove the tape patch or rubber plug over the center of the blades. You should see an E-clip on the blade axle. Put 2 drops of synthetic engine oil on the axle and replace the tape/cover. Assemble. Magic words and Scotch and water. Otherwise, about $35 - $45 for the part at a dealer.

Caution: Deville locations may be different from my car, but the principle is the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts