Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone has had any starting problems with their V2.

Both yesterday and today I have had similar issues under similar circumstances.

Yesterday I drove down the road to the drug store (3 miles) after a cold start. Note: I did not lock or arm the car. When I got to the store I grabbed what I needed and went back out to the car to realize that it would not start. It acted like a low battery condition and wouldn't allow the engine to fully turn over (all of the lights and accessories stopped while cranking). I tried to start the car 5 or so times. I then grabbed my key and both locked and then unlocked the car. I then tried to start and it fired up on the first go.

Today after work, I drove to a wine shop (4 miles from work) after a cold start. When I got there I realized that they were closed but got the same no-start condition. Again, this time I had not locked or armed the car (I was parked in front). It took multiple tries after locking/unlocking before getting car to start.

Any similar experiences? Any ideas? If not, I will simply send it in for service and report back.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
I do a lot of short trips with no issues. My car is set to auto lock when I walk away. Starts fine everytime.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
I think your car has something against drugs and alcohol.

I've not experienced that problem with my car (an automatic) and I drive 3.3 miles each way to work, about 2 or 3 miles to lunch, every day that I'm driving the car.

Now, I've had mine in storage for the last 2 weeks, so I'll be curious to see how it behaves when I get it out, see if the battery takes issue with the short trips now that I've let the car sit for a while and the battery discharge a bit.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I've never had this problem. However, I'm out of town on vacation for the next week, and my car is in the garage. I'm hoping he'll start up with no trouble when I get home, as I've started it up every single day except for two days since my purchase in March.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
How do you get the car to not lock when you walk away with the fob? I tried with my '08 and could not. The dealer couldn't do it, and Cadillac's national technician on the auto show circuit said it couldn't be done, either. I haven't tried with the V. Maybe something is wrong with your locking system. My '08 had a bad wiring harness in the driver's door that sometimes wouldn't recognize that I was in the car with the fob. It caused all sorts of problems until the harness was replaced.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
How do you get the car to not lock when you walk away with the fob? I tried with my '08 and could not. The dealer couldn't do it, and Cadillac's national technician on the auto show circuit said it couldn't be done, either. I haven't tried with the V. Maybe something is wrong with your locking system. My '08 had a bad wiring harness in the driver's door that sometimes wouldn't recognize that I was in the car with the fob. It caused all sorts of problems until the harness was replaced.
It's an option that can be set in the DIC menu. I would wonder about your dealer not being able to do it and the Cadillac national tech saying it couldn't be done?!? I have it set this way myself where I prefer to lock my own doors using the FOB as opposed to the car automatically locking itself. It's handier for me when I'm washing the car and I need to open and close doors and not worry about them being locked on me.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Sorry, not experienced this either.

And I would be scared if my dealer didn't know how to set the auto lock feature...........

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't actually do anything to ensure that the car would not be locked when I walked away. In fact I left the car at the factory default settings. This being said, I was never actually sure that the car was actually locking when I did walk away because I always had the key with me when I returned.

With this in mind, I did not manually lock the car using the key fob as I often do when I'm going to be away from the car while.

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Close your door with the FOB in your pocket. Walk away about 10 feet, turn around and you will hear your doors lock automatically. Sometimes the lights will also flash to confirm. Also, close your door and stand by your car about 10 seconds. The doors will lock. When returning to your car with the doors locked and the fob in your pocket, pull just slightly on the door handle. This allows the on board computer to detect FOB #1 or #2. Then immediately pull the door handle fully open to get into the car. It's sweet!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm dropping the car off on Thursday to have this checked out along with the wheel click TSB.

I will report back.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
I think your car has something against drugs and alcohol.

I've not experienced that problem with my car (an automatic) and I drive 3.3 miles each way to work, about 2 or 3 miles to lunch, every day that I'm driving the car.

Now, I've had mine in storage for the last 2 weeks, so I'll be curious to see how it behaves when I get it out, see if the battery takes issue with the short trips now that I've let the car sit for a while and the battery discharge a bit.

The V has a battery saver system buit in... not sure how it works or why

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The V has a battery saver system buit in... not sure how it works or why
Apparently starting car uses a lot of juice, so they prevent you from starting the car to save the battery :alchi:

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
Yesterday something happened that later i though might be associated with the start problem, but then when I read it again, this problem looks like an electrical/battery problem.
What happened to me was the trunk would not open when pushing the button on the trunk lid. Had to push a bunch of times before it would open. I found out what it was: I have a pouch with my keys in it and a key card for the building. The key card was interfering with the caddy key. The trunk push couldn't find the key, although the doors opened find. Once I took the caddy key out of the pouch, away from the building key card, it worked fine every time. So, it seems like there are weak areas in and around the car where other keys may interfere.

Hans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts