Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DeVille 2002 Escalade
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow this is a weird one guys. My car sometimes does not start. When I turn the key nothing happens at all. It happens about every 20 starts. What i do is turn the key off and on until it works. It could be 3 times or 15 times but it eventually starts. No codes, so I am stumped on what it could be. My retired parents use this car in AZ, I cant have them stranded in 115 degree weather. I also cant pay someone to fix it either. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Pull the codes....

Does it still have the original CKP sensors? They had a bad batch of them the year yours was made... it can cause intermittent hard starts or stalls. It may or may not throw a code.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
He said "no codes". I assume no cranking and no "click" from the solenoid? Do accessories work?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No crank, no click, nothing. All accessories work fine while trying to start it. I turn it off and back on a couple times and then it starts instantly.

·
Registered
99 deville
12 Posts
I would check the battery cables. There can be corrosion inside of the insulation and look perfect on the outside.
Also have your battery checked out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when the key is all the way froward every thing turns off. batt is new optima redtop

·
Registered
deville
41 Posts
mines had the same problem and it turned out to be starter soleniod i changed complete unit and never had had a no crank condition ever.but before you go thru all that makes sure wires on battery are tight and clean and if you decide to change starter make sure wires there are clean and tight as well.and you clean check your ignition switch to remember that ignition switch sends signal to starter soleniod to engage if its faulty its not sending signal everything will work but you will get a no crank condition.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my only option is to replace the starter? starter works fine/fast when it clicks on.

·
Registered
deville
41 Posts
change the whole unit so you can get a possible better warranty,this stater is located i belive in a odd ball place.i also belive that one of the wires on soleniod has a fuse link in wire make sure that wire is not brittle that would definatly cause a no start condition you can check that wire with a power tester.power tester must lite when you hit the switch this wire is usally the skinnyer wire on the soleiniod.if your in chicago theres a small parts store on the north side called julios auto parts and i know you can probably get that stater for about 100 with a one year and maybe for a couple of bucks more yu can get a lifetime from them to?good luck

·
Registered
01 DTS
2 Posts
Yes, the starter in in the valley under the manifold. Not as bad as it sounds.
Last year I used the plenum replacement instructions in the Tips forum. It worked beautifully and when I was down in there I noticed where the starter was. I now need to change the starter, and was going to use the plenum write-up to help me get to the starter. I know there are a lot of extra steps in that write up for a standard starter replacement tough. What steps should I follow to just change the starter?

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Had the same no crank no start problem. Was going to replace the starter and found the wires that hook to the starter loose. Just tightened the wires and returned the new starter and problem was solved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts