Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 03 cts has 50,000 miles and starts up fine every morning and after work (where it sits for 8 hours) but after a 3rd start or so it doesn't start. starter cranks, battery is new, I bought a crank position sensor and have it at a shop but a mechanic at the shop started it once and the second time they started it it wouldn't start so now i'm waiting till tomorrow morning to see if it's workin. is there a possibility it could be the security system some how? i saw a warning on the dash once and about a minute or 2 later the car shut off, weird startup issues, hopefully crank position sensor fixes it

·
Registered
2003 CTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the dooshbag mechanic that said he would only charge $45 for changing the crank position sensor, reevaluated the job and wanted to charge me 4 hours of labor!!! 340 bux. So i told him i can get caddilac to do it for that amount of cash. then he tried to get me saying your car doesn't even start, how are you going to get it over there? (since i knew the car sat for a few hours I said wathe me start it buddy! and sure enough it started) so i took it back home. So now after reading several articles here and internet, I called autozone and they are printing my "detailed" instructions on how to change the sensor.

I see some people get to it from the top others get to it from the bottom, is there a preferred (fastest easiest way) to change it? I'm thinking get it on ramps and try from underneath, tie a string to the end of the old one so the new one folloows the same path. Man i love this car but seems like changing simple things like starter, thermostat, are just a huge mission. sad to say i'm fixing it then trading it in for an 07 or 08 trailblazer where i'll have tons of room to work on my car. still love the caddy and will revisit once i can afford a new one with a full warranty :(

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Dealer isn't even that price, its about 1hr max...wherever you took it is stupid.
A 07 trailblazer is much more $ than the 03cts..
That was my other option when I bought the caddy, I stand by my choice. It is a expencive car to maintain but it is sooo nice.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i took it to pepboys and ghetto mike was right, 1 hour. total of $98.00 with tax included!! awesome. I left the car there in the garage overnight and they'll change the part tomorrow morning. Can't wait to test it out!

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Don't give up on the cts just yet, its a amazing car, little fusturating at times, and if you can pull a full service history on the car we can tell you what to evpect and usually at a deacent estimate of what mileage it happens at.

On a side note....my bank account is about to hate you..and I just got the cts paid off....now I'm looking at trucks (trailblazer,envoy,denali,tahoe,avilanche) and hope to have one before winter...I just gotta trade in my jimmy and go back into debt...that jimmy is really reliable...3or 4 years and just a thermostat and a plastic clip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts