Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  04CTSVforMe 
#1 ·
Hi-

Does it matter if you start the car going in 1st gear vs. 2nd gear as far as wear or damage goes? It seems like the car starts off just fine in 2nd gear, and then you don't have to listen to that damn "clunk" almost every time the car is shifted from 1st to 2nd. It also seems to bypass that 1st to 4th gate?

Thanks,
ualdriver

#4 ·
Does starting from a complete stop in second cause premature clutch wear? If not, that sure would be the way to go (unless you're gonna drag race, of course.)

Also, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, 'cause I still don't know what "clunk" you fellows are talking about, and I do a lot of stop and go driving..

#6 ·
Black Beast said:
Ualdriver,

If you're just driving in 2nd gear and taking off it shouldn't do (correct me if im wrong) anything to your car. I do it at times in heavy traffic. As for that annoying 1-4 gate you are talking about you can get rid of it with this.
www.diablosport.com

2nd gear starts WILL NOT effect your car, just as long as your not rideing the clutch in the process. Therefore NOT damageing the car but, shortening the life of the clutch.

j

#9 ·
NIK said:
So you are saying that the clutch life will be shortened - is that what I understand?

No. Not at all. It really depends on the skill of the driver. If the driver, isn't the best,...and is rideing the clutch,...in other words, giving the car more gas then it needs to get it rolling and still haveing the clutch depressed, or partially depressed....can cause the clutch to improperly wear.

That goes for starting off, in ANY gear. It's just that your going to have to use a little bit more throttle to get the car going(in theory) if you start off in second gear.

A good driver,..this woll not be a problem.

j

#11 ·
Lots of performance automatics and I think a lot of the SMG transmissions have a "snow" setting that uses second gear to start moving to reduce torque on the drive wheels. It won't hurt the car. Driver error might wear the clutch more than normal, but that doesn't hurt the car either. Just takes money to replace sooner.

#24 ·
I've been driving the 2-4-6 route, and have been getting about 19 MPG with mostly city/traffic driving and several "enthusiastic" accelerations per tank.

Regarding the ability for the V to go from 2nd, while waiting for my wife in the Target parking lot, I found you can get going, in 2nd from a stop, with NO throttle (and obviously a slow clutch pedal)...even on a slight incline. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.