Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1 93 N* Eldorado and tonight the car wont start with a message of "Starting Disabled Due to Theft System" message, "Wait 3 Minutes".

So i bypassed the VATS key reader thing at the column with the proper resister. still nothing with the same message.

Any ideas?

VATS module?

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
You should still be able to get your DTCs. Just turn the key to "on" and press the climate control's "Off" and the passenger's "warmer" buttons together. Now get all of your codes. One of them might reveal if the VATS module is bad or not. If your resistor(s) replacement value is more than 5% up or down, it might be that too.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If 93 VATS is the same as my 90 CDV you can check to see if its the VATS module by finding the starter enable relay and bypassing it. The starter will turn over but the car will not run because VATS also shuts down the fuel injector pulses. What value resistance did you use for the bypass? There are 15 different values and they're posted here somewhere.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Did you put the resistor on the dash wiring harness side of the connector at the base of the steering column? If you put it on the wheel side it won't work at all.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
The resistance is somewhat temperature sensitive and may be just outside of the (I think 3%) tolerance of the VATS module. You might try a different combination of resistors and check them with a DVM. The advertised resistance on the package may vary by a certain amount. The more expensive resisitors have a smaller tolerance than the cheapies.

Here are the key values:

VATS # (K)OHMS (Set your meter to the 20k ohm setting)

1———— 0.402
2———— 0.523
3———— 0.681
4————-0.887
5————-1.130
6————-1.470
7————-1.870
8————-2.370
9————-3.010
10————3.740
11————4.750
12————6.040
13————7.500
14————9.530
15————11.801

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. My resistance must be the 1.87. Both my keys are 1.85 and my resistors ( I used 3) are exactly 1.85 combined. The resistor is wired in on the dash side not the column side. I'll have to pull the codes tomorrow I guess. I hope it threw a code. Is there anyway to reset the theaft system?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Not sure where you guys are going with "dash side" vs. "column side" wiring. There should be two tiny white wires together in an orange sleeve that go from the connector at the base of the column up into the column itself. You have to cut both wires and connect the resistors between both wires. If you just spliced into one VATS wire it is now all honked up and will not start. Double check the values of your resistors;1.87K Ohms = 1870 Ohms.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
66 elcam: follow the directions on my post in tech tips on how to bypass the VATS module. Chubbyranger is right - this must be done under the dash along the column AFTER the large wiring harness. You should see an orange thin straw-like conduit with the white wires (2) inside. This is where the splice of resistor(s) must go. Also, are all of your resistors of the same wattage? I recommend soldering the whole resistor chain in and making sure it does not come in contact with any other ground or wiring down there. Be sure you do a test start BEFORE soldering. If it doesn't start, there could be an error in the chain or it's the VATS module. Pull your codes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its done on the right wire(s). the value is within tolerance. i know that this didnt fix the problem, my car starter (which ive had for 2 years) has a resistor to bypass the VATS keyreader also. it doesnt work to start the car either. if the reader in the tumbler was toast, you'd think that when id use the remote car starter its would start because it bypasses the key.

i can't believe i have a car, that i rely on, totally mechanically sound, and i can't drive it do to a theft system...

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
The remote starter should crank it but it will not fire because the VATS system shuts off the injectors. Maybe make a few resistor combos that are slightly out side of those tolerances and try them, All that thing needs is the resistance it's looking for and you're good to go. Getting the right value is highly dependent on ambient temp and the quality and accuracy of the resistors you buy.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Pull your DTCs (codes) and post them here. Most of us have the spreadsheet of the values and meanings so we can determine if your VATS MODULE is bad. If it's the module, the resistor(s) are not the problem. Are you sure the resistors are all of the 1/2 watt type? I found at Radio Shack, many of the resistors were mis-filed and the wattages were mixed. Also, did you build your resistor chain from the most resistance to the least (left to right)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well there are no codes... my resistors are fine, in the proper order and 1/2 watt. think i should get a vats bypass module from baker electronics?

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
That's very strange that there are no codes. If there were anti-theft errors, they should show up in the VTD sub section with a prefix letter of "P" or "B". They should be current and not history as you never got a successful start. Normally when a resistor pellet can not be detected, a code of B2710, B2711 or B2750 should show up. If it's in the VATS module, it should be codes like P1501, P1502 or P1503. Anyway, with no codes to go on, we are unable to diagnose what the true problem is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this happened with my last problem, i had a map sensor that went bad, didn't drive the car for 4 months because i couldn't figure out what was wrong. would not throw a code. the only codes i did have this time were related to disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville STS
1 Posts
I have a 1990 Seville STS that was always having me wait 3 minutes due to Theft System (Starter Disabled). Took the advice on this board. Found an orange wire on the passenger side of steering column. This orange was just a casing for 2 white small wires inside. Followed the cable down to the plastic connector (right next to the huge harness for many wires). I disconnected that plastic connector and then cut the two cables on the side running up to the ignition switch. Took that connector with two cut white wires and soldered in a 1.1k ohms resistor (measured my key first and it was 1.113 k Ohms). Plugged back in the connector and the car starts perfect!!!!

Thanks for all the advice! I have been late several times places due to waiting 2 or 3 times for the 3 minute countdown. Can't believe this is all it took to fix it. Shop wanted to replace the lock cylinder + 2 hours of labor. This cost me $0 as I had the resistor. ---- Thanks again.

·
Registered
99 cadillac deville
3 Posts
where exactly is this wire? can it be yellow? im gonna try to bypass this vats system tomorrow im just not sure which wire to splice into any info would be great.......

·
Registered
07 STS-V 03 Allante
19 Posts
Anyone tried the http://newrockies.com/ passkey bypass pro. I have a 1993 Allante that was having the same problem. Their site says it is supported and bypasses all the other. I've hooked it up and it doesn't appear to work. Now the car will crank, but not start. Their is 4.5v on the fuel enable output, but still feels like it is not getting spark.

Does anyone have any success with the http://newrockies.com/ bypass module?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Those bypass "modules" are nothing more than plug in resistors. VATS disables the starter and fuel pump. Does your fuel pump run for a few seconds after key on?

There is an Allante section of the forums, but it's pretty dead.

·
2000 ETC
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 2000 Eldo. I have wired in the proper resistor. No change. Can't pull codes through climate control or by scanner. Tried everything and read everything on the net, Battery okay, grounds okay, I have been driving Caddys for fourty years and doing my own repairs for fourty years. Can't figure this one out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts