Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado, 1987 DeVille, (R.I.P), 1980 DeVille, (R.I.P.)
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone. My 91 Eldorado will not start at all. As soon as the key is turned to the "ON" position, the information center says "Starting Disabled Due to Theft System". Then it says "wait 3 minutes", "wait 2 minutes", "wait 1 minute", "start car". I have read about similar problems in the past that people had on this forum. I have tried all my other ignition keys and it will not start. I do not think the lock cylinder could be dirty inside because I periodically wipe off the key and make sure it is clean before putting it in the ignition. I even tried starting it in other gears and disconnecting the battery but nothing works. The horn also quit working a month ago and I am not sure if it is related or not. What is the most common problem? If a wire is broken inside the column, could I bypass it under the dash or should the broken wire be repaired? If the wire is not broken, could it be a body control module or engine control module? This is my only car and I have no idea what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,227 Posts
Hello again everyone. My 91 Eldorado will not start at all. As soon as the key is turned to the "ON" position, the information center says "Starting Disabled Due to Theft System". Then it says "wait 3 minutes", "wait 2 minutes", "wait 1 minute", "start car". I have read about similar problems in the past that people had on this forum. I have tried all my other ignition keys and it will not start. I do not think the lock cylinder could be dirty inside because I periodically wipe off the key and make sure it is clean before putting it in the ignition. I even tried starting it in other gears and disconnecting the battery but nothing works. The horn also quit working a month ago and I am not sure if it is related or not. What is the most common problem? If a wire is broken inside the column, could I bypass it under the dash or should the broken wire be repaired? If the wire is not broken, could it be a body control module or engine control module? This is my only car and I have no idea what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
=======================
do a search for BYPASS VATS

basically - you measure the resistance of the chip in the key -
purchase the correct combination of resistors -
and bypass the system -

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado, 1987 DeVille, (R.I.P), 1980 DeVille, (R.I.P.)
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. I will try this out. The key is number 9 and after watching someone bypass theirs on the internet, it looks fairly easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts