Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Sedan DeVille, 1993 Fleetwood, 1978 Coupe DeVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an original starter from 1978/79 for a 1978 Coupe DeVille. I had multiple aftermarket starter - none of them really worked.
Any idea where I could get one or maybe a forum member has an old starter sitting on the shelf?

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
820 Posts
I don't recall ever buying a bad starter. They can't all be defective. I did replace one once because I had a bad battery connection doh.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,104 Posts
When I replaced the starter on my 81, I used a Delco. If you're having trouble with cheap rebuilds, I suggest trying an AC Delco. I also learned while taking it out that the starter was probably ok, it was the battery cables that were bad. New starter, new cables, it started perfectly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall ever buying a bad starter. They can't all be defective. I did replace one once because I had a bad battery connection doh.
The starter itself haven't been bad. You just can't make them work properly with the flywheel. My mechanic tried all kind of starters, shimmed them left and right and up and down. The starter that was in when I bought the car chipped off the teeth of the flywheel, so I got a new flywheel and a new starter, new starter chipped again some teeth off, so another new flywheel and since then some new starter but they just don't fit, so I'm now trying to find an original starter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I replaced the starter on my 81, I used a Delco. If you're having trouble with cheap rebuilds, I suggest trying an AC Delco. I also learned while taking it out that the starter was probably ok, it was the battery cables that were bad. New starter, new cables, it started perfectly!

My battery cables are fine, the car starts but it makes horrible noises when I start the car, so after I talked with my mechanic we decided that I try to find an original starter.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
820 Posts
You would think if the rebuilders machined the mating surface that the clearance would be too tight. If the starter gear isn't contacting the flywheel then maybe they are using some kind of cheap gears??? I would be worried that an original would need a rebuild anyway. If that's what it takes then that's what it takes. I would try the Delco and hope it is correct.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Cadillacs using a Cadillac manufactured engine in your year do not use starter shims. The parts tolerances were tight enough to avoid that.

Your starter needs a rear starter to engine bracket to play properly. Every 368/425/472/500 RWD needs one. There's actually a threaded hole in the engine block near the rear of the starter to facilitate this.

There are discussions on this subject on this site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts