Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe, 2013 CTS-4, 1997 Cadillac STS, 2005 CTS-V,
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 07 CTS and was wondering what is the highest gear that you can start up with when using the manual Driver Shift Control? I can't notice a difference no matter which gear I shift it into before starting up. The manual says that for starting up on ice, you can select a higher gear using the DSC for more traction. Also does the car always automatically shift to low in DSC mode when coming to a stop or does it maintain the gear you were currently in?:confused:

·
Registered
'06 3.6 Lux Sport, this is my final GM car.
45 Posts
If you are stopped and use the DSC to select 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, the transmission will be in 2nd gear, it doesn't matter what the display shows.

The DSC has a mind of it's own, don't think you have manual control over the transmission.

The transmission will shift into lower gears even if you don't do anything. The strange thing about the DSC is that even though it will down shift on it's own, it won't upshift on it's own. If you don't upshift, the engine will just keep banging into the rev limiter.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe, 2013 CTS-4, 1997 Cadillac STS, 2005 CTS-V,
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are stopped and use the DSC to select 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, the transmission will be in 2nd gear, it doesn't matter what the display shows.

The DSC has a mind of it's own, don't think you have manual control over the transmission.

The transmission will shift into lower gears even if you don't do anything. The strange thing about the DSC is that even though it will down shift on it's own, it won't upshift on it's own. If you don't upshift, the engine will just keep banging into the rev limiter.
That sounds exactly like what it is doing. Thanks for that great explanation.:worship:

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts

That's odd, I had a rental 1.8t jetta and it would upshift when it hit redline but would not downshift...obviously a different car but still.

·
Registered
'06 3.6 Lux Sport, this is my final GM car.
45 Posts
It appears there is no consistancy in how a car maker programs their DSC. I travel quite a bit for work and get many different rental cars. Out of all the cars I have rented, I think my Cadillac has the worst programming. The best (in my opinion anyway) was in a Mitsubishi. And, yes, I beat the snot out my rentals, just to compare them, of course :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts